Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File Sharing: Users vs Everyone vs Staff

Hello all. I'm trying to set up file sharing on a home network with nobody getting any more access than they need. I am at a loss to find any info on the differences between "Users" and "Everyone".

For example, on just my Public Folder....
- when I Get Info on the public folder, the "Shared Folder" box is obviously checked. Under the permssions part there are three access levels...1)<my name> (Me) with Read & Write privs, 2) STAFF with Read only privs and 3) EVERYONE with Read only privs

- when I go to the "File Sharing" section of System Preferences, under "Shared Folders" there is <my name>'s Public Folder. Under "Users" for that folder are 1) <my name> with Read & Write privs, USERS with Read only privs and 3) EVERYONE with Read only privs.

These are all default settings as I have changed nothing yet.

My question is, who is included in each of the groups STAFF, USERS, and EVERYONE?
What are the differences between each?

I cannot find this info anywhere either here or at large on the web. Thanks for any help.

MacBook Pro (2.4ghz), Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Aug 20, 2008 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2008 12:20 PM

staff is the group that includes every user with an account on your computer. everyone means every user no matter how they are connected including guest users connected across a network as guests. I'm not completely sure but I think USERS in sharing is basically the same thing as staff but it doesn't include the guest user (which does have an account and does belong to staff). so, for example, if you give USERS read+write rights to a folder in sharing then all other user accounts on your computer will be able to write to it but network users connected as guests won't.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2008 12:20 PM in response to enigmakv

staff is the group that includes every user with an account on your computer. everyone means every user no matter how they are connected including guest users connected across a network as guests. I'm not completely sure but I think USERS in sharing is basically the same thing as staff but it doesn't include the guest user (which does have an account and does belong to staff). so, for example, if you give USERS read+write rights to a folder in sharing then all other user accounts on your computer will be able to write to it but network users connected as guests won't.

File Sharing: Users vs Everyone vs Staff

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.