Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule - Printer - Windows problem

I have an Epson NX400 printer that works fine connected directly to a Windows XP machine but does not work when I try to use it as a shared USB printer from my Time Capsule. All the Macs on the network can print to it as a shared printer just fine. The Windows machine uses the Time Capsule for internet access, it can use the hard drive, and Bonjour on the Windows machine finds the printer and seems to set everything up. Unfortunately, when I try to print to it from the Windows machine all I get is an error about a connection problem. When I called Epson support they tried some stuff (different port configurations and such) and told me the problem was with the Time Capsule (I am not sure I believe them). Does anyone know if the NX400 can be used by a Windows machine when it is attached to a Time Capsule?

I have always used Macs and I know almost nothing about Windows. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Aug 20, 2008 2:23 PM

7 replies

Aug 21, 2008 9:59 PM in response to JeffInMontana

I had the same problem. My MacBook Pro was printing fine to a Canon printer attached to the Time Capsule, but my Windows XP laptop didn't work (even though the printer showed up and said it was Ready).

The Add Printer Wizard on the the XP machine did the trick. The PC now prints wirelessly with no problems.

This link gives step by step instructions:
http://tech.ifelix.net/1004.html

Aug 23, 2008 4:09 PM in response to JeffInMontana

When moving a printer that has been directly connected to a computer, either PC or Mac, you must reconfigure the printer's interface connection or it won't communicate. You have several choices as to how to do this, the easiest of which is to simply add the printer again and make sure that it is pointing to the Time Capsule. You'll have two printers in your setup, but you will also be able to move the USB cable back to the computer and print directly as well, without having to reconfigure anything.

If you change the interface connection directly, then you'd have to change it back if you wanted to connect it directly to the computer again.

Aug 25, 2008 7:01 AM in response to Melinda S.

Thanks for the suggestion and the link ... unfortunately, it didn't solve the problem. I have tried reinstalling drivers and bonjour, adding printers with the print wizard and bonjour, and occasionally cursing Window, Microsoft, and Epson, all to no avail. The frustrating part is that in setting up the printer in Windows everything seems to work, I can find the printer, driver, and get dialog boxes telling me everything went fine, but when I try to print nothing happens. Does anyone know if the Epson NX400 works as a network printer (Epson was slightly less than helpful on this point) or, given my lack of knowledge about Windows, is there some simple permission or firewall tweak that might be keeping me from printing?

Jeff

Time Capsule - Printer - Windows problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.