Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Won't Write ID3 Tags onto CDS

I'm a musician in the process of producing my first home made album. I have all the tracks on my Laptop Itunes, but things get a little complicated when I want to burn them onto a blank CD. Burning is a success, but if I take that CD and upload it to another computer's itunes, all the track names have disappeared as well as the artist name, album name, etc...

I tried submitting the track names to the Gracenote database, and this did not solve my problem. I also tried using the File>export button to save the txt file on the blank CD, but this did not solve my problem either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Windows XP

Posted on Aug 21, 2008 9:59 AM

7 replies

Aug 21, 2008 11:09 AM in response to Mapleleaf3

Mapleleaf3 wrote:
I'm a musician in the process of producing my first home made album. I have all the tracks on my Laptop Itunes, but things get a little complicated when I want to burn them onto a blank CD. Burning is a success, but if I take that CD and upload it to another computer's itunes, all the track names have disappeared as well as the artist name, album name, etc...

Audio CDs burned in iTunes are in standard redbook audio format, which does not support ID3 tag information.

You could try burning using CD Text; however, only an audio player capable of reading this information will display the track titles. (a Sony Discman, for example)

Steve

Aug 21, 2008 7:27 PM in response to PT

Thanks for all the help guys, I just have three more questions:

1) It was stated that regular audio CDs do not support ID3 Tags. What kind of CD would I need to buy that could support the information?

2) Using the File>export button and clicking save in the CD drive is the correct way to put CD text onto the CD, right?

3) Would this CD text be able to be read by other people's Itunes?

Aug 25, 2008 10:51 AM in response to Mapleleaf3

Mapleleaf3 wrote:
2) Using the File>export button and clicking save in the CD drive is the correct way to put CD text onto the CD, right?

Preferences > Advanced > Burning (tab)

Under "Audio CD", check "Include CD Text"

Mapleleaf3 wrote:
3) Would this CD text be able to be read by other people's Itunes?

CD-TEXT only allows capable audio players (portable CD players, certain car stereo CD players, etc.) to scroll that information across its display as the track is playing.

For other people's iTunes to be able to retrieve the track listing, it has to be first uploaded into Gracenote's database, once Gracenote processes the information.

Steve

Won't Write ID3 Tags onto CDS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.