Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT - What does Apple use for replacement?

I have had 'issues' with my display on my MBP 2.4 since Jan. '08. I've documented this w/ Applecare (so there is a list of reported issues so they can see there's a problem as it's not something I can replicate at the Genius bar). It's still under warranty, but my concern, and question is this...

I'd like it fixed. But, If I bring in my MBP (again) to Apple and let's say they say it is the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT that's faulty, WHAT WILL THEY REPLACE IT WITH? Another 'faulty' chip? [I realize the whole board has to be replaced]

Is there a definitive answer to what NVIDIA chip Apple would use? I've read that they are using the SAME likely-faulty product. That is not good news. And if NVIDIA has acknowledged the problem, do they have a FIXED Chipset for this model?

MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core2Duo 15", 20" Cinema Display, 5G Vid ipod 30GB ++, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Aug 22, 2008 10:40 AM

5 replies

Aug 22, 2008 1:22 PM in response to NightBird

As this is not an official Apple venue for such questions as yours, we really cannot give you any answer. We don't have any idea what Apple would do to repair your computer nor even if there is a repair. You simply will need to take this up with AppleCare.

I can only tell you that the GPU is soldered onto the motherboard, so that any "replacement" would simply require a new motherboard.

Oct 30, 2008 5:55 AM in response to NightBird

My best guess is that the replacement boards also have the faulty chip. The fact that the affected MBP production run all the way to the last ones made (Sep 08) leads me to believe the there is no other option but to use the same video chips. BTW please do not assume that since the nvidia chip is soldered on the logic board that it can't be replaced. These Rev.2 boards could very well be just rebuild ones with the video chip replaced at a central workshop equipped to do such a thing.

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT - What does Apple use for replacement?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.