Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bonjour for Windows no longer works after SP3 is installed

Bonjour for Windows was working fine until SP3 came out. Now I can see the printer and Bonjour goes through the motions to set it up, but I can't print to the printer.

The whole construct of "Printer.local" or "AirPortExpress.local" doesn't seem to work in a printer Port configuration any more.

I can ping the Printer.local or AirPortExpress.local in a command window, but the print spooler can't seem to send anything to the printer if the name.local construct is used in the port configuration.

If I replace the printer.local name in the port configuration with the IP address instead of the printer.local name, I can print fine. The only exception to this is printers hanging off of an AirPortExpress. I can't print to any printer that is attached to an Airport Express. Even if I setup a port to the IP address, I can't print to that printer.

Another user that had this problem uninstalled SP3, I'm contemplating that now.

Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Aug 22, 2008 12:59 PM

14 replies

Sep 10, 2008 11:06 PM in response to mpdajo

I have since installed Bonjour for windows v 1.0.5 and still has the same issue.

The list of printers exist when first start Bonjour Printer Wizard, however after I have selected the printer I get the error: "The Bonjour printer you have selected is no longer available. Please make sure the printer is powered-on and plugged-in".

It is both powered-on and plugged-in and accessible from the MacBook Pro and all other Macs on the LAN.

After the is dismissed the only item in the list is the Apple Talk access to a different printer on the network (the only device running AT)

Message was edited: The printer is an ethernet connected Brother HL-4050CDN

Oct 7, 2008 8:48 PM in response to mpdajo

I am experiencing exactly the same problem with Bonjour for Windows 1.0.5 running under Windows XP with SP2 running under Parallels 3.0. The sole printer on the network (an HP LaserJet 1320n) appears on the list. The data for the printer appears when it is selected. One can even scroll through the list of printer drivers available, if one is fast with the mouse. Then the "no longer available" message appears. It is possible to quit Bonjour and do this repeatedly.

Nov 27, 2008 9:06 AM in response to kae

Are we all agreeing that SP3 broke Bonjour for Windows? Up until a month or more ago, I had all computers in the house wirelessly printing to an HP Deskjet 5400 series USB printer. Now, up-to-date Windows XP machines running Bonjour 1.0.x are failing to see any printers on the network. My network is an Airport Extreme participating in WDS with an Airport Express. All Mac laptops in the house print with no problems. I would love to hear of a solution to this problem, but I am beginning to believe Apple may need to identify the incompatibility issue in the Windows update that broke Bonjour and push an update out.

Jan 17, 2009 9:22 AM in response to kae

I have Windows XP - SP3 installed through Parallels 4.0.3810 and am having the same trouble. When I start up Bonjour it sees my printer right away. I select that printer which brings up the list of printers and almost immediately I get the message that the printer I had selected is no longer available. Any help on this would be awesome. Thanks.

Mar 1, 2009 3:34 PM in response to kae

I have Bonjour installed on my ThinkPad running WinXP. It can't see my LAN-connected HP printer. I don't even see an option to add a Bonjour printer.
( how do you add a Bonjour printer??

Nor can any of my Macs see the shared documents folder on the PC. They could before I upgraded to SP3. Sharing for that folder is turned on, of course

I removed the Bonjour component and reinstalled it. No diference.

I downloaded the latest Bonjour installer from Apple and installed that.

Turned firewall off. No difference.

The Windows Component Manager shows that the Bonjour service is running. I stopped and restarted the service. No joy.
The Windows Event Viewer shows that the Bonjour service is logging informational error messages ID=1 from time to time.

Bonjour for Windows no longer works after SP3 is installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.