Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook won't start at all - dead

My MacBook won't start AT ALL - nothing, nada, zip.

I press the power button and nothing happens at all - no sound, no lights, no movement.

I have tried taking out battery and unplugging it, then pressing power button for 5 seconds, then inserting battery and plugging back in (as per Apple's kb note). This doesn't help.

[OK I was trying to upgrade the hard drive - original hard drive is now back in the MacBook]

Any ideas?

MacBook Core2Duo 2.0GHz (White), Mac OS X (10.5.4), Mac Mini CoreDuo, Mac Pro Quad, Intel iMac

Posted on Aug 23, 2008 8:25 AM

7 replies

Aug 25, 2008 11:07 AM in response to Hamish B.

Its pretty hard to damage the logic board in the MBs just by doing a hard drive replacement. Its an end user task now as all it does is slide in/outin the battery compartment. Make sure you push it in all the way as the SATA has to properly catch. The SATA connector for the HD and the logic board are nowhere near each other, so like I said it would be pretty hard to mess that up. If nothing still works, I echo I Love My Macbook's comments and recommend a Bar visit.

Aug 26, 2008 11:59 PM in response to pmt223

OK I took my MacBook to the guys at Streetwise in Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn (we are talking Melbourne Australia here).

Incredibly helpful - the genius there diagnosed a dislodged cable between the top board (keyboard and housing) and the main body. He thought I had dislodged it trying to change over the hard drive.

In any case, he straightened things out, reseated the cable and voila, its all working.

Hard drive upgraded too using Carbon Copy Cloner.

MacBook won't start at all - dead

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.