Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD Movies to iPod 5G

What software exists, on the Mac platform, to be able to convert a commercial, full-length DVD movie into a format that can go on the new iPod 5G? For example, I want to convert "Return of the King", which I own, to be able to play it on my iPod. What software does this?

I need Mac-compatible software, not Wintel.

Posted on Oct 27, 2005 12:31 PM

8 replies

Oct 27, 2005 12:55 PM in response to Jeff Goldman

If you don't have your dvd ripped to the mac first you'll need to do so using mactheripper. I've been converting tons of movies in anticipation for the arrival of my 5G ipod. I'm using handbrake and it's works great. I ran into one problem with it but found the answer right away on their forum. After handbrake reaches 100% you still need to wait about another 10 minutes till it's actually done. If you choose a single pass you are looking at about 30-40 minutes to convert a full movie to a mp4. If you choose a second pass you're looking at about an hour.
Not bad, we're too much of a "I want it done now" society, so I'm happy with the wait.
An irrelevant problem I have is all my DVD's are wide screen!

DVD Movies to iPod 5G

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.