Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook will not mount CDs but will mount & read DVDs

This MacBook is used mainly for surfing, email and word processing. Very few other programs are installed and/or used. Recently it stopped mounting and reading CD's. It continues to mount & read DVD's. When I insert a CD (commercial or home burned) the drives sounds like it is trying to read it and then after awhile it ejects the CD. I have other Macs & PC's which can read the rejected CDs.

All software is up-to-date and disk permissions are in good shape. AppleCare had me reset the PRAM. Would appreciate any other steps I can try to fix the situation. In several weeks, I will be traveling to a city with an authorized Apple repair unit where I can have the computer looked at. I'd rather fix it myself if possible

Macbook 12" 1.83 ghz 1.25 gig ram, Mac OS X (10.5.4), MacBook Pro 17" Powerbook G4 17" 1.3GHz 80Gb (10.5.3)

Posted on Aug 23, 2008 10:12 AM

6 replies

Aug 23, 2008 3:20 PM in response to Betty R. Beckham

Weird! We had the exact same symptoms on my wife's Macbook today as well. We're going up to the Apple Store tomorrow to see what they have to say. It's still got a lot of warranty left, so we're not too concerned. We went out and bought a backup drive a few minutes ago, so we won't lose any of her data in the worst case scenario. Good luck to you!

Sep 18, 2008 5:01 AM in response to Betty R. Beckham

If your computer is covered by warranty or extended Applecare they will probably replace the drive.

In many cases, though, these sorts of problems can be simply overcome using a drive cleaning disc.

Certainly worth a try if you are out of warranty (Apple have said that they don't like cleaning discs in the past so you may not want to use one if you are still under warranty etc. I have personally used cleaning discs for many years in Apple slot load drives without the slightest problem however, and they have instantly "fixed" drives that would otherwise seem to be beyond redemption!).

Cheers

Rod

MacBook will not mount CDs but will mount & read DVDs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.