Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Spotlight not search Trash?

My Spotlight preferences indicate every item is checked so that Spotlight will do a thorough search. I tried to find something that I had recently moved to the trash. I did an overall search using the extension of the file. Spotlight found nothing. Then I even entered the file topic in the search window. Still Spotlight didn't find it. I had to do a manual search of Trash and found it myself. Why doesn't Spotlight search the Trash?
Thanks for your help.

macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Aug 24, 2008 6:54 AM

5 replies

Aug 24, 2008 7:23 AM in response to jeb

Why doesn't Spotlight search the Trash?

I expect it is because of the assumption that stuff you put in the trash is unwanted. Some Windows users use their recycle bin as a temporary location until a final decision is made whether they really want to get rid of that file or not.
If you have so many items in the Trash that you need to conduct a search, may I suggest you create a new folder called Procrastination or some such, and put your doubtful stuff in there, until you are sure you really want to discard it. Then move it to the Trash.

Aug 29, 2008 8:39 AM in response to roam

Sometimes creating a folder is not an option.
What if you (as happen to me) delete a file accidentally and when you are looking for it in spotlight you will never find it 'cause is in the trash.
If in 10.4 this can be done, there have to be a way to do this in 10.5.
This happens also with the CoreServices folder, it would be great if I can spotlight for Screen Sharing.

Aug 29, 2008 9:34 AM in response to BioCharlie

It was tricky, but I figured a workaround.
In Finder, Select Go To Folder... from the Go menu.
Type in the path to your trash, ie /Users/yourusername/.Trash and hit return
Now, use the search field in that window to search the trash. As always, the search will default to "This Mac" and "Contents", but you can now select .Trash as the search location.
Why you can't do this from the Trash folder when you click on the Dock icon, I don't know.

Aug 29, 2008 9:35 AM in response to jeb

Until Apple brings this feature back to Mac OS X, one solution is to use the search utility EasyFind (free, www.devon-technologies.com), which can simultaneously search through both visible and invisible folders.

Another solution is built into Mac OS X, but it only searches your trash and nowhere else on your hard drive. Go to the Finder, select Go > Go To Folder and type in ~/.Trash to bring up a Finder window showing the contents of your Trash, but this time around, Mac OS X recognizes it as a searchable window. Type your search criteria, and then be sure to select .Trash as the location you’re searching (if you choose This Mac, the results you’re looking for won’t be found).
You can even save the results of this search as a custom search in your sidebar, and then modify it later by clicking the Action menu in your Finder’s toolbar and selecting Show Search Criteria.

(tip from Scott Rose on Mac|Life)

Hope this helps.

Why does Spotlight not search Trash?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.