5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2008 9:10 AM by Kine
Kine Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
hello,
i recently opened up my g5 to install more ram and found it very dusty in there. when i removed the fan structure to place the ram in the expansion slots i noticed that the metal mesh behind the fans was pretty full of compacted dust. i'm wondering if this will eventually be bad for my system? will this eventually cause my computer to overheat? i've had this computer for a little over 3 years and it's been great! i really want to try and preserve it and maintain it as much as possible. any suggestions?

also, should i be doing some kind of defragmentation around now? any tips for keeping the hard drive in top shape?

thanks,
mike

G5, Mac OS X (10.4.5)
  • japamac Level 7 Level 7 (24,390 points)
    Hi Mike-

Get rid of the dust!
    It's not good for cooling, and lack of cooling is a performance and hardware killer.

Don't use standard vacuums, they create deadly static. Best if the tower is moved to where compressed air can be used to blow the dust out. Wiping of the fan blades with a soft cloth, and use of a soft, long haired brush can aid in removing stubborn dust.

I am not suggesting that you do the take apart, but this article has some good pictures of how much dust can accumulate where you can't see. This is where compressed air can really help.

Take care, and be gentle.

As for the hard drive, preventive mainntenance of repairing the hard drive directory with Disk Utility, or, better, Disk Warrior, is essential to keeping performance up.

Defragmenting utilities, IMHO, should not be used. OS X takes care of minor defragmenting.
    Cloning a system to another hard drive, using SuperDuper! , is actually a very good way to get defragmenting taken care of, and keep your system backed up.
  • Kine Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    thanks for your input japamac! i'll check out those links and give it a shot.
    japamac, will time machine do the same thing as superduper?
  • japamac Level 7 Level 7 (24,390 points)
    Time Machine makes backups. These backups are not bootable. The data is good for restore, but the mechanism is not the same as cloning.

Cloning copies all files, OS (hidden files too), applications, data, etc., to a chosen drive. In the process, a file that may have been spread accross a couple of sectors, is written to the clone volume in a single, unfragmented manor.
    This article explains.

The other benefit of the clone volume, unlike a TM volume, is it is not only cleaned up, but also bootable.

So, the cloned volume, can then be used as a system drive. When backup is neccesary, clone the clone back to the other drive. Again, files are all cleaned up, and you always have two complete, bootable systems, with two complate sets of applications and data.

Addendum:
    Defragmenting utilities, IMHO, should not be used.

should have read:
    Defragmenting utilities, IMHO, in most cases, should not be used.
    just like i thought, dust will eventually harm my computer so i better clean it out. thanks.