Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

video formats supported by touch

What video formats does the iPod touch support? I have a video with the following info that iTunes say cannot be copied to the touch. My video is MPEG-4 video file, with a bitrate of 64kpbs. It's profile is Low Complexity, with total bit rate of 195kbps. Video dimensions is 208x160, and the video codec is H.264.

I checked the ipod touch specs and it says that it supports H.264 format in Low Complexity -- that's what my video is -- and still it cannot be played. Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my video format?

By the way, I encoded it in AVC format -- much more clearer video with small file size than the non-AVC. Is it the AVC format that's whats causing the problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

iPod Touch 8GB, iPod mini 4GB, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Aug 25, 2008 2:05 AM

8 replies

Aug 25, 2008 2:47 AM in response to Corey Miano

there seems to be a problem with the 2.0.2 firmware...
there is a thread called "THIS MOVIE FORMAT IS NOT SUPPORTED"
so certain MP4 files converted with H.264 codec don't play

I've tried downgrading iTunes and tried downgrading the iTouch to 1.1.4
- which i couldn't get to work - but NOTHING works..

guess we're going to have to wait for a patch/fix (i hope)
... let me know if you find a solution 🙂

Aug 25, 2008 3:32 AM in response to Johnathan Burger

Actually, other videos i converted using Quicktime is in the H.264 format and they play fine.. but the weird thing is that those videos encoded by another program, Nero Recode, doesn't work even though inspecting the Get Info for both videos converted in Quicktime and Nero tells me both of them are remarkly the same.. both on H.264 format. It's weird.

video formats supported by touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.