Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iDisk question

I have copied my documents folder to iDisk. If I make changes to my documents folder on my Mac does it automatically sync with my documents folder on iDisk?

I have three Mac's; iMac, MBP and a MB. I am trying to keep all files in sync with one another. There are times I have to operate remotely (away from Internet access) so accessing iDisk for my files could be an issue so I have duplicated my documents folder on both my MBP and MB. My iMac is not part of this equation. Any suggestions?

MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Aug 25, 2008 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2008 8:25 AM

The only way I've found to do this (and I do it this way) is to copy the file(s) you want to your iDisk and to have that iDisk file as the "base" file. Once you've copied your file to your iDisk, mark your hard drive file as a backup, as it'll no longer be the file that is opened and updated. Now, click and highlight your iDisk file (the file you just copied to your iDisk) and make an alias from this for your hard drive (you'll need to do this from each computer for each computer you use so that each computer has an alias of the iDisk-based file). What this does: anytime you're on any of your computers and open that file, it reads the file from your iDisk. Thus, the changes you make to the file are saved on the iDisk, not on that computer's hard drive. Thus, when you access your (iDisk) file from any of your computers (double clicking on the alias), each of your computers will pull up and open the file that's saved (and updated) on your iDisk. Opening files takes longer because you're working with the file over the internet. Also, if you don't have internet access with a computer, you won't be able to access the file. It's clunky, but it works.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2008 8:25 AM in response to Chris Sterns

The only way I've found to do this (and I do it this way) is to copy the file(s) you want to your iDisk and to have that iDisk file as the "base" file. Once you've copied your file to your iDisk, mark your hard drive file as a backup, as it'll no longer be the file that is opened and updated. Now, click and highlight your iDisk file (the file you just copied to your iDisk) and make an alias from this for your hard drive (you'll need to do this from each computer for each computer you use so that each computer has an alias of the iDisk-based file). What this does: anytime you're on any of your computers and open that file, it reads the file from your iDisk. Thus, the changes you make to the file are saved on the iDisk, not on that computer's hard drive. Thus, when you access your (iDisk) file from any of your computers (double clicking on the alias), each of your computers will pull up and open the file that's saved (and updated) on your iDisk. Opening files takes longer because you're working with the file over the internet. Also, if you don't have internet access with a computer, you won't be able to access the file. It's clunky, but it works.

iDisk question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.