Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Intel iMac v. Dual G5

I run small company which currently uses an old Dual 2Ghz G5 Power Mac for file sharing (LAN and WAN) and for running FileMaker Server 7 (and 10.4.9).

Due to a staff member leaving, we have an Aluminium 20" Intel iMac doing nothing - I'm wondering if this much later model computer would do a better job than the old tower. I'd run the iMac (on 10.5) with an external drive (for Time Machine to do backups). Currently I use Backup to copy data from the main drive of the G5 to the second internal drive.

I'm also wondering if there's much to be gained switching to proper server software when there's only a maximum of six people on the network (both LAN and WAN).

Mac Pro 2.66/17" MBP, iPods, older stuff…, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Aug 25, 2008 6:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2008 3:50 PM

If you move to the intel-based Mac, you won't see speed gains with Filemaker until you bring it more current.

If all you are doing is file sharing, there is very little to be gained by moving to OSXS. But there is a bit to be gained by applying the system updates to 10.4.11. Or if you want the Time Machine experience, you could move to 10.5.4 (your new iMac).

If you don't plan on upgrading FMP, then you will see next to no gain in speed moving to the iMac. You didn't mention how much RAM is installed on each machine -- that matters. A minimum of 2 Gb would make all machines concerned happier.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2008 3:50 PM in response to Nigel Paterson1

If you move to the intel-based Mac, you won't see speed gains with Filemaker until you bring it more current.

If all you are doing is file sharing, there is very little to be gained by moving to OSXS. But there is a bit to be gained by applying the system updates to 10.4.11. Or if you want the Time Machine experience, you could move to 10.5.4 (your new iMac).

If you don't plan on upgrading FMP, then you will see next to no gain in speed moving to the iMac. You didn't mention how much RAM is installed on each machine -- that matters. A minimum of 2 Gb would make all machines concerned happier.

Aug 26, 2008 5:25 AM in response to Paul Vail

Thanks for that. The G5 is on 10.4.11 - I typed it wrong. The iMac has 2GB of RAM, the G5 a bit more - 2.5 I think (I'm writing this at home).

I'm dubious about the benefits of FMP9 server for such a small workgroup - it's an expensive upgrade.

I'm using Time Machine for my MacBook Pro, but the G5 doesn't need it because of the two hard discs. I'll probably just not bother until Snow Leopard, then ditch the remaining PPC machines.

Cheers.

Intel iMac v. Dual G5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.