Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I make a secure wireless network?

I have a Macbook running over a wireless network that is not secure.

I have looked in the setting but can not see how I make it a secure network.

can anyone help please.

Cheers ;o)

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.4), 2.4GHZ, 4G RAM

Posted on Aug 26, 2008 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2008 9:16 AM

You enable wireless security on the base station, by using the AirPort Utility. You basically have four choices: None, WEP, WPA, or WPA2. (Note: These are in order of least to most security.)

Here are the basic steps:

AirPort Extreme Base Station Setup (AEBSn) - Wireless Encryption
Setup the AEBSn
Either connect to the AEBSn's wireless network or temporarily connect your computer directly (using an Ethernet cable) to one of the LAN ports of the AEBSn, and then, using the AirPort Utility in Manual Mode, check these settings:

AirPort - Wireless
o Wireless Security: <None | WEP (Transitional Security Network) | <b>WPA/WPA2 Personal | WPA2 Personal>
o Wireless Password: <enter your desired password>
o Verify Password: <reenter your desired password>
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2008 9:16 AM in response to dopeshots

You enable wireless security on the base station, by using the AirPort Utility. You basically have four choices: None, WEP, WPA, or WPA2. (Note: These are in order of least to most security.)

Here are the basic steps:

AirPort Extreme Base Station Setup (AEBSn) - Wireless Encryption
Setup the AEBSn
Either connect to the AEBSn's wireless network or temporarily connect your computer directly (using an Ethernet cable) to one of the LAN ports of the AEBSn, and then, using the AirPort Utility in Manual Mode, check these settings:

AirPort - Wireless
o Wireless Security: <None | WEP (Transitional Security Network) | <b>WPA/WPA2 Personal | WPA2 Personal>
o Wireless Password: <enter your desired password>
o Verify Password: <reenter your desired password>

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.