7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2008 4:31 PM by epsilon_iPod
Curt Milton1 Level 2 Level 2 (385 points)
This has happened before and my only solution was to reset the iPod.

I'm connecting to .Me and Comcast mail. The iPod tries and tries and won't connect. It worked fine just the other day and I believe it was working fine after the upgrade to 2.0.2. Mail would download very quickly.

Anyone else run into this? The Mail app just sits and spins and won't ever connect. I'll be restoring the iPod tonight but this is very frustrating.

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.5.4), 2gb RAM
  • TRepp Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Same here but a tad different. I posted thread titled 2.0.2 messed my ipod or something like that.
    Very frustrating. Apple was right. It works out of the box, but I am hesitant to upgrade with them again.
  • Curt Milton1 Level 2 Level 2 (385 points)
    Turns out a simple reset -- not restore -- did the trick. Hold down the power button and the Home button. Takes a few seconds but the iPod will ask if you want to shut it off. Click Yes. It powers down. When you restart you'll get the Apple logo for a bit and then it will launch. Fixed my Mail problems.

    Message was edited by: Curt Milton1
  • Powderchick Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Thank you! THank you! Thank you!!!!!!
  • wineaux Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I thank you also. This worked like a charm. It was driving me crazy.
  • applemaster Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    i have 2.02 and it downloads the mails.... like in 2 secs
  • paleo2002 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    I'm also having trouble with Mail. First I couldn't send or receive mail. I updated the incoming and outgoing mail server settings and reset the iPod. After doing so, I could receive mail but not send. I would get an error saying the Sender Address is Invalid. I deleted the settings again and reentered them. Now I can send mail but not receive mail. I now get a message that the iPod Failed to Connect to the Server.

    I'm using Optimum Online for my e-mail, if that helps.
  • epsilon_iPod Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    My iPod Touch with latest software upgrade simply won't connect to my POP Mail Servers to retrieve mail. Oddly, I can send messages using the same Servers! GMAIL work fine.
    I have deleted and recreated the account definitions many times and reset the iPod. I know the entered details (password etc) are correct.

    It worked a month or so ago but has always been intermittent - I am sure this is a bug in the Mail application.

    What is strange is that the SSL and Port Number keep getting changed after I set them to the correct settings. If I change them back they eventually change again to (SSL=Yes and some other Port Number).

    This is my first Apple device and, while it is a great piece of hardware, the software reliability and support leaves me wondering why everyone has been panning Microsoft all these years.