Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Paid video content won't play on iPhone...

I just picked up a 3G the other day and I'm heading out of town.

I've just tried playing back my new copy of Nightmare Before Xmas and some Music Videos I bought off of iTunes awhile back. Both sets of files play back with no issues on my regular iPod, but when I try to play either of them, I get a message "This Movie Could Not Be Played." What's going on here? One of my music video played earlier this week with no problems and now it doesn't want to play at all.

Compounding my frustration, I've got a bunch of non-iTunes videos on here that I encoded myself with Handbrake that work perfectly on the iPhone. Anyone have any ideas? It seems like it has something to do with paid content.

20" iMac Intel, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Aug 27, 2008 7:18 PM

7 replies

Aug 27, 2008 9:28 PM in response to ajservo1

ajservo1 wrote:
Restoring the phone worked. I don't really agree with all the backups it does every time I connect the iPhone, as it seems that most recent backup it did was the cause because that backup is screwed up. Now I get to manually enter all my contacts in the phone again. Great.

You may not agree or like backups but it saves you a bunch of time in the long run. Heck, you can even let it charge while syching... another plus.

Sep 1, 2008 6:51 AM in response to ajservo1

I bought my iPhone two days ago and am experiencing the same problem: movies purchased through iTunes not playing, getting the "this movie could not be played" message - but with my own converted movies playing just fine.

So is restoring the phone the only solution? I just spent a whole day setting it up! How do I know it won't just happen again? Playing movies on long-haul travel was the main reason for buying this phone, and it can't even do that, it seems...

Paid video content won't play on iPhone...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.