Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Checked songs in iTunes

Stupid question I sure... I'm far from an expert with iTunes.

After going through a wack of songs and check-marking them, is there not an easy way to select the checked songs? or an easy way to create a playlist of the checked items??

Thanks...

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Aug 29, 2008 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2008 11:26 AM

File>New Smart Playlist

Uncheck "Match the following rule"

Check "Limit to", 25 GB (choose a value to suit the size of your library), Selected by Artist

Check Match only checked items

Check Live updating
9 replies

Aug 30, 2008 12:03 PM in response to Pawman

Pawman wrote:
.... or an easy way to create a playlist of the checked items??

Hi Pawman.

Not a real sophisticated technique to be sure, but I typically leave all the songs checked in my library. I find it's easier to 'uncheck' the ones I don't want to hear than visa versa. Then when creating a playlist I just drag them to the playlist in my menu. Simple and quick.

mwn 🙂

Sep 2, 2008 12:19 PM in response to much wiser now

Thanks for the input.

All that I am trying to do is select specific songs in a large song library and get them into a playlist. I realize that you can select multiple songs and drag them into a playlist, but I was thinking there is a better way to do this by checking or un-checking songs.

Is there a way to select all items that are checked (or un-checked)?? or a different way to mark songs for a playlist? (The first suggestion to this question using smart playlists seems to work, but I'm not sure if there is a less cumbersome way to do this simple thing??

Sep 2, 2008 4:44 PM in response to Pawman

Hi Again.

First of all, Zevoneer knows infinitely more about iTunes than I do, so the steps he/she suggested are probably the way to go. Having said that, I wonder....

Okay... just got back from fooling around in iTunes.

I made a new playlist. Let's call it 'Playlist'. Then I clicked on 'Music' in my iTunes menu and UNchecked 5 songs, then I went to edit and chose 'Select All'. I proceeded to drag the whole thing to 'Playlist'. No problem. Except the 5 unchecked songs went with it. 😟

Either way, there's alot of checking and/or unchecking to do! So I guess Zevoneer's method IS the less cumbersome method 🙂

Well, I tried!

mwn 🙂

Sep 16, 2008 6:40 PM in response to Pawman

First, you can check all the songs in the window by holding down the Command (Apple) key while checking one. Keep in mind all songs visible will be checked/unchecked. Wether they are highlighted (by clicking on them) or not makes no difference, so be warned. But this solves checking each one manually.

As far as a Playlist with only checked songs, make a Smart Playlist, and in the rules make sure you have "match only checked songs". Make a simple rule that includes all your music - for example, make a regular playlist with all your songs, and then use that playlist as your criteria for the Smart Playlist (the rule would be "Playlist is 'All Songs Playlist'", or whatever you named the "all songs" playlist).

Also, you can make a new playlist from selected songs (highlighted by clicking with the mouse) by going to the File menu and choosing "Make Playlist From Selection".

Checked songs in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.