Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to see what iTunes has sync'd to my TV?

I've got about 170Gb of content in my iTunes and have told it to Autosync to my 40Gb TV. I'm happy with the box deciding what it wants to keep locally and have the rest streamed.

However, is it possible to see from within iTunes exactly what's been sent to the TV? I know I can shut down iTunes and go look to see what's available but I'd like to know from this end.

Also, is it documented as to how the decision is made by the system as to what exactly is Autosync'd?

Thanks.

Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Aug 30, 2008 7:06 AM

10 replies

Aug 30, 2008 7:50 AM in response to capaho

capaho wrote:
You can see the file lists of what's actually synced to the ATV when it's showing in the Devices section in iTunes.

not true, that also shows streamed content
i stream everything and my appletv shows the content listed there (even though it's not sycned to it).

!http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3132/2811355876_cd21a8e4d5.jpg?v=1220107770!

Aug 30, 2008 8:00 AM in response to capaho

capaho wrote:
What happens if you set it to sync? Does your ATV file list still mirror your entire iTunes library?

no idea, i've never had the desire to sync.

but i have "custom sync" option enabled and set nothing to auto-sync.
so as you can see from my image (just incase you don't believe me again), the device list shows streamed content as well as synced content.

Aug 30, 2008 8:12 AM in response to Chenks

I'm not saying I don't believe you. If the ATV list under Devices is now showing all available files when the iTunes library is online, as it now does on the ATV itself, then it would just be mirroring the iTunes library, which seems rather useless.

The list used to show just synced files, but it's possible it was changed (or a bug was introduced) with either the 2.0 or 2.1 update and I just didn't notice. It's hard to imagine how this could be useful. If the ATV list is not distinguishing between synced files and files available for streaming, there doesn't seem to be much point in listing the files at all, since you already have the actual library list in iTunes.

I think I'll chalk this one up to overworked software developers.

Aug 30, 2008 9:38 AM in response to capaho

capaho wrote:
What happens if you set it to sync? Does your ATV file list still mirror your entire iTunes library?

The list of content under devices doesn't simply mirror your itunes library, it displays what is available from the tv by either streaming or syncing which is not the same. You can have content in your itunes library which isn't synced or streamed to the tv by virtue of not checking it in the itunes library, such content does not feature in the list of content under devices because it is not available to the tv.

Yes this is what happens if the library is set up a s a syncing library you don't get a list of content under devices if your library is set up for streaming only.

Sep 7, 2008 3:47 PM in response to pickmynose

pickmynose wrote:
I believe there is an option in the apple tv/itunes menu to show in itunes only what is on apple tv.

Yes - if you choose Custom Sync - whcih I inavriably do to control what's stored locally - there's a 'Show only synced items on my AppleTV' checkbox.

I keep saying it but these merged lists just seem to confuse everyone - I much preferred the Sources system of doing thing with 1.0/1.1 - you knew you were playing synced stuff from 'Apple TV' directly or streaming from selected 'name of iTunes library'.

Handling this merged sync/stream list is I think partly responsible for the slower menus and lags with 2.0+. Admittedly the merge is a nice concept but I'd prefer it as an option rather than an enforced choice (and checking only show synced items doesn't quite achieve what sources did, as it effectively prevents streaming from the sync library, and removes the control to iTunes instead of where you want it.)

AC

Is it possible to see what iTunes has sync'd to my TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.