Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mini-DVI carry audio?

Does the Mini-DVI carry audio signal?

I'd like to use the Macbook as a DVD player, connecting it to a HD TV's HDMI input...Can I just use a Mini-DVI to DVI cable and attach a DVI-HDMI adapter at the end?

Posted on Aug 30, 2008 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2008 8:36 AM

Hi Heisann: Unfortunately, no, the DVI signal is strictly video. You will need an additional audio cable from your MacBook to the appropriate input on your TV.

Stedman
7 replies

Aug 30, 2008 2:29 PM in response to Heisann

Heisann wrote:
I don't quite understand though: the output port on the Macbook is a combined analog headphone- and optical digital output, no? A headphone output is seriously amplified compared to a line output...Is there a way to switch between heaphone/line analog?

That's rarely a problem. Line-level inputs are high-impedance (typically around 10K ohms) and the current will typically be limited because of the high impedance.

I remember checking specs, and a typical line-level output is about 300 ohms. The MacBook headphone output is under 24 ohms. As long as the output impedance is well under the input impedance, there's little chance of anything bad happening to the input. Of course keep the headphone volume down to keep it from clipping.

Mini-DVI carry audio?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.