Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BellSouth Alcatel DSL Modem and Airport Extreme

I have a new iMac, and BellSouth DSL Internet service (alcatel modem). I get an Internet connection when connecting the modem directly to iMac using an ethernet cable. However, when I try to configure my Airport Extreme 1 of 2 things happens: a constantly blinking amber light, or a green light. In neither instance does Airport Utility see Airport Extreme (even when the light is green). I have tried powering off and recycling both Airport Extreme and the modem, with neither solving the problem. Any thoughts?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Aug 31, 2008 1:05 PM

4 replies

Aug 31, 2008 4:40 PM in response to Cooblake

The modem is a Speed Touch Home.

wow, I used one of those 8 years ago I did not know they still being used. If I remember correctly it did not have integrated pppoe or pptp client so it requires you to run a pppoe or pptp client on your mac. Therefore when connecting it to an apple airport basestation you have to configure the pppoe client in the base station.

so open your airport utility select your base station , choose manual setup

the click the 'internet' icon in the toolbar of the airport utility window and from the connect using drop down choose PPPoE, then configure it with your isp login details. The click the update button.

BellSouth Alcatel DSL Modem and Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.