Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto and itunes libraries won't save even with 30g "free" on my hard disk

I was downloading about 80 photos from my camera to iphoto and all of a sudden the iphoto gave a message stating that there is not enough space to save in the library. itunes is essentially giving me the same warning. I can not even download anything from the internet as well, aka software updates.

The computer is a macbook that I bought in Jan 08. it has 120 GB (111gb really). I know that I need to keep about 10-15% free for "normal" processing. I have 30 GB left.

I put in the installer disk and ran disk verify and "corrected" the two errors only to still have the same problem occur. So my next step was to erase the Hard disk and revert to the latest backup from Time Machine to right before the "problem".

My computer ran great! I was able to use Itunes to download podcasts for a week. I was even able to put some pictures into iphoto without any problems. Then the other day I went to add a cd I have to itunes and the problem locked up the Hard disk. THis problem also gives the computer a hard time saving the iphoto or itunes libraries. So, I erased the hard disk and did another Time machine back up. Today, I tried to add some photos from a DVD i made months ago to test iphoto. I was able to load about 25 of the 100 photos when the problem occurred again. Again, I did the erase and time machine process.

So, I have very little faith in my macbook and I do not have 2 hours to "fix" my computer everyday. Is there something wrong with my hard disk? Is there something else I can do to improve this problem? Why am I able to download small info like podcasts and a few photos but large picture galleries of 20 or more or a whole cd lock up my computer?

Any ideas?

macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Sep 1, 2008 4:53 AM

3 replies

Sep 1, 2008 5:06 AM in response to tommyok

tommyok

My guess is that you have a disk issue - some (quite large) portion of the HD has directory damage and the OS cannot write to it. Hence the disk reads a quite full to the OS, though not the Finder.

What to do? I would post on the MacBook forum, where folks may have a better idea of what's going on and what to do about it. Or perhaps it's time for a trip to your local Apple Store.

The MacBook forum is here:

http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=218

Regards

TD

iphoto and itunes libraries won't save even with 30g "free" on my hard disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.