Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCal calendars won't delete, keep coming back

I'm trying to delete my iCal calendars (especially the Entourage one), but every time I open up iCal after deleting them they come right back! I tried deleting the cache file, but to no avail. There are massive amounts of duplicate events in these calendars (7K+) and I'd like to just start fresh. How can I clear all my calendars and reset iCal?

G4 PowerBook 15", Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Sep 1, 2008 9:05 AM

13 replies

Sep 19, 2008 2:21 AM in response to sesmith75

Same thing here.
I tried to complete reset ical so I could try to start fresh in order to (hopefully) solve syncing issues with mobile me.
I deleted all my calendars. I cleaned out cache files, library files and what else iCal related files I could find on my system.
Did a restart, opened iCal and voilá, there was a bunch of old calendars and entries back in there - don't have the slightest idea where all the old data is coming from.. drives me nuts!

Sep 19, 2008 2:17 PM in response to obentz

I had to delete all my calendars months ago because of syncing errors. i have all new calendars and everything has worked great until this morning when apple resurrected 15 old deleted calendars on me.com. All of a sudden all of those old calendars were back, my phone and all three of my computers. I had to delete and force resyncs and everything. I imagine they did some sort of restore.

Sep 22, 2008 4:47 AM in response to eevon

I deleted all of my calendars, the cache, etc., and when I started up iCal all of my calendars including long ago deleted calendars were there. That would be great except that I tried to pare things down so that I could try to get the iCal and synch services working. Where do the old calendars come back from? I have to wonder if there is an internal cache in the program folder itself.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Feb 22, 2009 5:02 AM in response to sesmith75

I have the same thing, cleared the ~/Library/Calendars folder, emptied the trash, opened iCal and whoppa, all the calendars are still there. Even when I delete the calendars using Edit -> Delete, they won't go away. Trying to do all this due to MobileMe synching problems. But if I can't even delete calendars, my hopes of trying to solve this issue are diminishing quickly.

Ah well, what else to do on a Sunday morning, but to fight with iCal?

Feb 23, 2009 11:31 AM in response to sesmith75

Thanks to John Maisey ( http://www.nhoj.co.uk/) I was pointed in the right direction.

1) close iCal

2) delete calendar cache
~users/[your user]/Library/Calendars/Calendar Cache

3) delete Events directory
~users/[your user]/Library/Calendars/*.calendar/Events

4) reset sync history (thanks John!)
http://support.apple.com/kb/TA23030

5) open iCal

All gone!

Still expecting dawn of the dead, but living in hope.

Feb 23, 2009 11:34 AM in response to sesmith75

Thanks to John Maisey ( http://www.nhoj.co.uk/) I was pointed in the right direction.

1) close iCal

2) delete calendar cache
~users/[your user]/Library/Calendars/Calendar Cache

3) delete Events directory
~users/[your user]/Library/Calendars/*.calendar/Events

4) reset sync history (thanks John!)
http://support.apple.com/kb/TA23030

5) open iCal

All gone!

Still expecting dawn of the dead, but living in hope.

Mar 8, 2009 1:28 AM in response to sesmith75

Here's what worked for me:

1. Open iCal and delete every calendar you don't want anymore
2. Export an iCal backup (file-->back up iCal)
3. Quit iCal, Mail and AddressBook (if they're running)
4. Clear out the following folders (delete everything in them!) and empty the trash

/users/*YOUR USER*/Library/Calendars

/users/*YOUR USER*/Library/Application Support/iCal

/users/*YOUR USER*/Library/Application Support/SyncServices

4. Restart iCal
5. Restore iCal from its back up (file-->restore iCal)

After doing this, I no longer had zombie calendars appearing on my iPhone or in iCal!

iCal calendars won't delete, keep coming back

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.