Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Trying to import mp4

787 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2008 2:27 AM by Tom Wolsky RSS
JimmyZCCK Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 2, 2008 5:43 PM
I'm using FCEHD 3.5.1. I have hired a firm to transfer well over 200 hours of home video to DVD. They sent me four sample files (mp4s) to see which works best with my FCE. It took over 15 minutes to render a 2 minute file (neither first.mp4). Surely there must be a drag and drop format i can receive these videos in. If a 2 minute clip takes 15 minutes, my 2 hour dvds will take forever. Please help me with tech info so i can direct this firm.

The formats they supplied me so far are:
adaptive.mp4, lower first.mp4, neither first.mp4, upper first.mp4. The only one that worked was neither first and that was after the long render.

Should i upgrade to FCE 4 ? As you can see, i'm a newbie so all help is appreciated.

Jimmy
Many, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • David Harbsmeier Level 7 Level 7 (29,570 points)
    Sep 2, 2008 6:23 PM (in response to JimmyZCCK)
    Welcome to the forum!

The version of FCE that you have works natively with DV and HDV. FCE 4 works natively with DV, HDV and AVCHD. No versions of FCE (that I'm aware of) work with MPEG-4 natively. It is generally considered a delivery codec and not suitable for editing - without extensive conversion (as you've discovered) and quality loss.

Why are they sending you MPEG-4 files anyway? Don't they have the stuff on VHS or 8mm?

-DH
    G5 dual 2.0, 4gb RAM, OS 10.3.9/OS10.4.9 // G4mdd, dual 1.25, 2gb RAM, OS 10.3.3, FCP 4.5+5.1.4 / QT 6.5+7.1.6 / DVD-SP 2+4
  • David Harbsmeier Level 7 Level 7 (29,570 points)
    Sep 2, 2008 7:09 PM (in response to JimmyZCCK)
    Well ... yeah. It was kind of ill conceived since they used a format that FCE doesn't work with natively.

I'm a bit confused though. You hired a company to transfer the footage to DVD-Video .. correct? If that's being done for you, why do you need files of the same footage to work with in FCE? Just curious as to your needs/intentions for the footage. Knowing that may make a difference it what workflow is recommended.

If you plan to edit the footage, ideally you'd capture from the original source tapes as Apple DV NTSC. FCE works very well natively with QuickTime/Apple DV.

But if you don't mind a loss of quality, you could use MPEG Streamclip to convert the DVD's VOB files into Apple DV NTSC.

-DH
    G5 dual 2.0, 4gb RAM, OS 10.3.9/OS10.4.9 // G4mdd, dual 1.25, 2gb RAM, OS 10.3.3, FCP 4.5+5.1.4 / QT 6.5+7.1.6 / DVD-SP 2+4
  • Tom Wolsky Level 10 Level 10 (104,685 points)
    Sep 3, 2008 2:27 AM (in response to JimmyZCCK)
    What David said. It has to be transferred to QuickTime using the DV codec.
    15" 2.4G MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.