Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to connect to background process in compressor

I have tried the solutions posted in support including a complete removal of associated files and re install, but it it still unable to connect to background process.
Do anyone have a working solution? Thanks

imac, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Sep 4, 2008 3:00 AM

19 replies

Sep 4, 2008 5:44 AM in response to Nick Holmes

I've been having the same problems with Compressor: Unable to connect to background process ever since I upgraded to Leopard. It seems as if Apple disregarded users of FCP 4.5 when they made Leopard. Through a friend, I upgraded to FCP Studio 1 using FCP 5.04, Compressor 2.01, etc (all upgraded to present status). None of the stated Apple cures are working. Is there something I can do other than uninstall & reinstall the same software over & over? This is very frustrating!

Sep 5, 2008 6:04 AM in response to Nick Francoforte

You are not alone. I am having the same problem w/ Compressor. I have not upgraded to 10.5 yet. It has been working all along, and I am very careful NOT to upgrade... I LIVE by the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" motto.

I am on my third reinstall in as many days of Compressor/qmaster... this is absolutely ridiculous.

Can SOMEONE find a solution please?!?

(And don't tell me to use another computer as mentioned in the last thread on this subject!!!)
Frustrated....

Nov 4, 2008 1:37 PM in response to Nick Francoforte

Well, FCP 4.5 is 4-5 years old now. You can't expect them to support it forever.

Leopard only supports FCS 2 and FCS 1.5 (i.e. FCP 5.1.x) which explains why your problem wasn't fixed upon upgrading.

I used to have this problem with Compressor and solved it this way:
http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/posts/mycompressor_issuessolved.html

They seem to be many causes though, so I can't guarantee this will work for everyone.

Nov 15, 2008 12:30 PM in response to Plasmaproductions

Look, this is screwy. I too receive the "background process" message and I haven't found anything that's fixed it.

I've turned off the anti-virus program, tried a couple of the terminal approaches and, most importantly, I did everything detailed in the Mac Support "SOLUTION," trashing various files, reinstalling the designated programs and installing the new updates.

No change.

I mean, +come on+. There's an answer out there for me, right? Point me in the right direction.

Unable to connect to background process in compressor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.