7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 8, 2008 8:39 AM by gglockner
gglockner Level 1 Level 1 (90 points)
Hi, I'm trying to figure out if I can use Time Capsule to meter the bandwidth used on the WAN port. Since we have Comcast, I want to know the total data transferred in GB/month. Time Capsule does support SNMP but I haven't found documentation on it, and I found that the SNMP monitoring tools like Cacti are too advanced and complex for my needs.

I'm not interested in installing a bandwidth monitoring utility on each computer. This won't work for two reasons. First, one computer on the network is my wife's XP work computer, where she does not have the right privileges to install networking utilities. Second, we have a number of networked devices (Apple TV, TiVo, Wii) that also use bandwidth, and I want to monitor the total bandwidth use in my household.

Thanks for any suggestions.

iMac, MacBook, iPhone, AppleTV, several iPods, Mac OS X (10.5.3)
  • Duane Level 10 Level 10 (117,950 points)
    No this is not a capability of the Time Capsule nor any of Apple's base stations.
  • gglockner Level 1 Level 1 (90 points)
    Yes, I know that. But the base stations do support SNMP. But can you run something like Cacti that would poll the base station and assess the traffic running through the WAN port. If so, how would you configure it?
    There is no way to run any applications on the Time Capsule itself.
    Thanks but I think you're missing the point.

The question is whether you can run an application on a computer that polls the base station via SNMP and determines the amount of WAN bandwidth used. What application would this be (Cacti, etc.) and how do you configure it to monitor the bandwidth?

And while we're on the subject, bandwidth monitoring should be added as a future feature to the AirPort/Time Capsule base stations. A few consumer-level routers do support this, and it would be a helpful feature considering the premium price of Apple AirPort/Time Capsule routers.
    The question is whether you can run an application on a computer that polls the base station via SNMP and determines the amount of WAN bandwidth used. What application would this be (Cacti, etc.) and how do you configure it to monitor the bandwidth?

Might be possible, but I have never heard of anyone doing anything remotely similar. If you do exceed the bandwidth, about the only way to prevent further use would be to configure the Time Capsule with incorrect internet settings.

And while we're on the subject, bandwidth monitoring should be added as a future feature to the AirPort/Time Capsule base stations. A few consumer-level routers do support this, and it would be a helpful feature considering the premium price of Apple AirPort/Time Capsule routers.

If you want Apple to hear your suggestion, visit www.apple.com/feedback/timecapsule.html and submit the form.
  • Skanche Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
    I think AirportTraffic is what you are looking for. It is available at: http://www.saygoodnight.com/
    Awesome suggestion! Exactly what I was looking for. Only catch is that the Mac needs to be on 24/7 to monitor the traffic. But AirportTraffic is exactly what I was looking for.