Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail APP showing old email (wrong email)

Got a strange one for you.. My mail app is showing old deleted email... For example i received 3 emails today.. all 3 emails, when i clicked on them, showed a message from several months ago from different people like not the person who sent the new email... this problem has been going on for weeks now, and is forcing me to use mobileme's or my netzero webmail accounts... i don't like webmail.. anyone have any ideas why mail app is showing these old deleted emails?

it's like my old emails are coming back as ghost disguised like my new emails...

IBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11), Appletv, Ipod Touch

Posted on Sep 4, 2008 11:54 AM

7 replies

Sep 5, 2008 11:23 AM in response to Mulder

they are litterly old emails that i deleted months or even years ago... from different senders... but they are reappearing under a new sender/message.... thats really the only way i can describe it.. for example, this is just an example...

say 4 months ago i got an email from newegg and deleted it.... yesterday i got an email from my boss and when i opened it, it was the email i deleted 4 months ago from newegg... but when i go to my webmail it is the actual email from my boss...

another real example... i deleted an email from my preacher about 3 months ago and i receieved and email from my dad last week.. when i opened it, it was the old email from my preacher...

I hope that is a little clearer... these are all emails from mobile me.. i have all my mail FWDED to mobile me

Message was edited by: Devin Stephens

Message was edited by: Devin Stephens

Sep 5, 2008 11:34 AM in response to Devin Stephens

If this problem affects more than your Inbox, you can rebuild your entire Mail index like this:

1. Quit Mail if it's running.
2. Go to Home/Library/Mail and delete the Envelope Index file.
3. Restart Mail and allow it to import your existing messages; this will rebuild the Mail index. When that's finished, check your emails to be sure the problem isn't happening anymore.

Mulder

Mail APP showing old email (wrong email)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.