Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes Sort by LOCATION?? FILE PATH

hi, i was wonderin if i can set up my itunes sortin columns SORT BY LOCATION or FILE PATH(like windows media player), ive just started using itunes but all my songs are being organized by folder in different location. if someone can tell me how i can sort my songs by location it would be great!

Windows XP

Posted on Sep 6, 2008 11:10 AM

9 replies

Sep 6, 2008 1:54 PM in response to nox_archon

Well, if you don't mind losing the "Description" information (most people don't use it...), I wrote a script that will set the "Description" of each track in the playlist(s) you select to the file path. You then can just turn on the Description column in your iTunes view, and sort by that column.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7887425&#7887425

Sep 9, 2008 8:32 AM in response to Robert Jacobson1

Robert, this is precisely the function I need. It is very strange that this is not available as an option. I have 700 tunes not identified with Album Name and Artist, but all well organized in the hard disk directories. In order to update the Artist and Album names efficiently, I need the tunes neatly organized according to how they exist on the hard drive .... am I the only one to have thought of doing this. Perhaps there is an easier way to accomplish the same task without exceeding iTunes capabilities.

In any case, I do not know how to use the script file that you so generously provided, and will appreciate some instruction.

Thank you ... Mark

Sep 9, 2008 10:20 AM in response to aktote

aktote wrote:
In order to update the Artist and Album names efficiently

Oh, why didn't you say so? That's a different problem 🙂 There are several pieces of software that will automatically update the ID3 tag of files based on their path. Personally I like Mp3tag:
http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

In any case, I do not know how to use the script file that you so generously provided, and will appreciate some instruction.

If you still want to use it, all you have to do is download the script (i.e. save it to your local computer), then double-click it to run it. You'll be prompted to select a playlist. You can select the "Music" playlist to do all your Music, or select a smaller playlist if you just want to test it out. The script will then update the Description of that playlist to the filepath.

HTH,
Rob

Itunes Sort by LOCATION?? FILE PATH

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.