Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kicking someone off my airport ...

I can see that there is someone accessing my airport base station (which, incidentally, is password protected), but I don't know how to keep them out.

Is there any way I can boot this person out? I tried downloading the Airport Monitor utility to at least try and get more information about who is accessing my base station, but I kept getting timeout errors.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Sep 7, 2008 11:20 AM

3 replies

Sep 7, 2008 11:53 AM in response to Andrew Alonso

There really is no way a person should be able to access your network unless they are either given the password or have successfully hacked it. This would not be possible if you are using WPA or WPA2 for your wireless encryption. However, anything can happen.

I suggest that you create a new WPA2 password. Make sure you use a strong password -- one that includes upper/lower case letters, numbers & punctuation marks that is at least 16 characters long.

Sep 7, 2008 12:10 PM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for the quick reply. We are using a WPA or WPA2 password (not sure which off-hand), which makes me wonder if this person could simply jump right back on once we change it. I will certainly try this.

Something that seems to have worked for the time being, though, is that I was able to limit their access to a 15 minute window on Monday mornings using the MAC access control menu.

But perhaps a more permanent and sure-fire solution would be to change the password.

Sep 7, 2008 12:53 PM in response to Andrew Alonso

Hiding the wireless network or using MAC filtering will only prevent the most casual of network hi-jackers as both methods can easily be circumvented with tools easily obtainable from the Internet. WPA/WPA2 is currently (at least for now) not "crackable" if used with a strong password. If you find, after changing the password, that this "individual" re-appears, then somehow they are getting the password as I'm not aware of any tool that can quickly ascertain WPA/WPA2 passwords.

Kicking someone off my airport ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.