Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Leopard, how to install Tiger on Other Partition

I have a 120 GB hard disk in my Mini, with 2 partitions. A 100 GB partition has Leopard and all of my data. A 20 GB partition is empty and I would like to put Tiger on it, using the grey System Install DVD that came with my Early 2006 Mini. But when I restart on that DVD, it apparently sees Leopard and then asks if I'd like to reinstall the bundled apps. It does not seem to recognize that I have two partitions.

Is there any way to install Tiger on that partition without first erasing the Leopard system? And even if I did that, would it then recognize the fact that I have two partitions and allow me to choose which partition gets the Tiger installation?

Thanks,

Jerry

Intel Core Duo Mac Mini Early 2006

Posted on Sep 8, 2008 9:28 AM

5 replies

Sep 9, 2008 3:56 AM in response to Jerome Krinock

Hi Jerry,

was the 20GB second partition used for a Boot Camp Windows Install before ?

Have you tried, while running Leopard to simply reformat the 20GB partition with the 'Mac OSX Extended (Jornaled)' file system ?

When you boot from the Tiger DVD can you access the Disk Utility (from the Top Menu - Utilities) and check if the 20GB partition is shown ?

Stefan

Sep 9, 2008 5:19 AM in response to Fortuny

Fortuny wrote:
was the 20GB second partition used for a Boot Camp Windows Install before ?

No.

Have you tried, while running Leopard to simply reformat the 20GB partition with the 'Mac OSX Extended (Jornaled)' file system ?

Running Leopard, Disk Utility shows that it +is now+ formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

When you boot from the Tiger DVD can you access the Disk Utility (from the Top Menu - Utilities) and check if the 20GB partition is shown ?

Yes, it is.

It seems to me that the "Install Mac OS X" program on the grey DVD that comes with the Mini, unlike the one on the black DVD that you buy separately for $129 USD, lacks the function that asks you what partition you want to install it on. When you have one empty partition, it chooses the Wrong One (for me) and wants to reinstall over the partition that already has a system. So I wonder which one it chooses if you have, say, two empty partitions?

Sep 9, 2008 6:00 AM in response to Jerome Krinock

Hi Jerry,

wow, that's a new one for me.
But I admit I haven't tried yet to install Tiger after Leopard.

My iMac runs Leopard and my Mac Pro runs... well... a lot of OSs 😉

Do you have to possibility to use an external HD for a bootable Leopard clone and then attempt to install Tiger with the Leopard volume temporarily empty ?

Stefan

Using Leopard, how to install Tiger on Other Partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.