Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMTP Timeout Cannot Send Email

Hi
Hoping you can help, I've recently switched to a Mac, so far everything has been very positive, plugged it in and away I went. The only problem I'm having is I can't send emails using NTLWorld account.
I get "Cannot send message using the server smtp.ntlworld.com" "The connection to the server smtp.ntlworld.com on port 25 timed out.

I made a note of the email account and port settings before the switchover so have set them the same as when I was using Thunderbird on my PC. I called Virgin Media broadband support who said they don't support Mac mail application and confirmed that I can send emails using their website to access the account.

I also tried allowing all connections in the firewall settings page, no difference.

I don't have any other pop3 accounts and only the ntlworld account setup in Mail.

I can receive emails no problem at all.

I'm thinking of setting up this account with Entourage to see if that makes any difference.

I have searched the forums for this problem and there seems to be plenty of questions but never located an answer suitable to my issues.

thanks

Message was edited by: h0rba

Oh dear very embarrassing. I was switching off ssl under the smtp advanced settings but then noticed under preferences>accounts>advanced another ssl tick box, cleared that box and all working ok. I thought that setting was for outgoing email only.

Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Sep 10, 2008 2:49 AM

8 replies

Sep 21, 2008 1:41 PM in response to h0rba

I am also a new Mac user, my MacBook runs version 10.5.4 I have successfully connected to the NTLworld pop server and recieve emails no problem but the SMTP server just wont connect. I've used the connection doctor and it showns that I have connected to the server but not to my SMTP account. NTL (virgin media) technical support talked me through the advanced account information, advised to use server port 25, checked the SMTP account was SMTP.ntlworld.com and reconfirmed my password (which is the same as the pop incomming that works). Also confirmed that the address to be used wasn't set to none. Still didn't work and NTLworld (virgin media) reckoned it must be a software problem. I am using a direct ethernet cable link to the Virgin media top box and the broadband provider is probably the largest in the country so I cannot believe this is an insurmountable problem but I did not find an answer to the other discussion users who have had this problem - can anyone help please?

Sep 26, 2008 12:59 PM in response to Mary114

Hi, I am having exactly this problem. I have had my iMac for 3 years now and not had a problem. In the last week I have been unable to send emails from Mail. Apparently I cannot connect to the smpt.ntlworld.com server (so the cnnection doctor says). Like the rest of you I can receive mails ok. Do you think it had anything to do with the Leopard updates that came through last weekend?

Oct 6, 2008 3:28 PM in response to h0rba

Still same issue in Entourage after set up as outgoing smtp.virgin.net ... :/ SSL unchecked, but tried all sorts of checking and unchecking in lots of locations nothing seeming to work 😟

Oh well... looks like we're gonna have to wait for Virgin to accept the fact that there are some Mac users in the world!

Oct 13, 2008 2:46 PM in response to djnj Mck

yes, i find this incredibly annoying.... i am using mail version 3.5 and when i am at home i find it very difficult to send emails from my ntlworld account.

i have 2 server locations set up in my account preferences in mail, one for home and one for work. there is a huge unreliability with sending emails from home through the ntlworld smtp settings.

clearly there is an incompatibility with ntlworld. if i try enough times they may eventually go through... or else i leave them in the outbox and send them from work the next day....

virginmedia/ntlworld, please deal with this!

Dec 1, 2008 3:59 PM in response to h0rba

OK, so I've had this problem since early October, and I've finally found a way to sort it out! (at least it worked for me). I read somewhere that it is possibly to do with the virgin servers not recognising the "new" set/versions/iterations of IP addresses which means mail can't connect to them properly for an ntlworld.com account.

I have found that by changing to smtp.blueyonder.co.uk this problem is rectified. Not sure why this occurs, but virgin owns both ntlworld and blueyonder so maybe the blueyonder servers are newer/recognize the new IP addresses? I'm not an expert on these things but this is what seemed to be suggested on another site I stumbled across after nearly 2 months of problems! I am so pleased I've finally managed to fix this as I HATE Thunderbird so much!

Hope this helps you guys/others with this problem.

SMTP Timeout Cannot Send Email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.