Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 8 on Windows XP x64

I had been running previous versions of iTunes in which I had unpacked the installer and replaced the Quicktime with an older version of Quicktime. This allowed the latest version of iTunes to be installed w/out updating Quicktime. The last version of Quicktime compatible with Windows XP x64 I discovered was Quicktime 7.0.3.70.

To continue the story, I ran iTunes 8 installer without any changes and iTunes 8 was successfully installed.

Today I reformatted and now it does not work. I am not sure what had changed. Why would it work before and not now?

Could apple please make Quicktime compatible with XP 64. I have some background in programming and it really wouldn't be that difficult. From my experience it's
Quicktime causing problems, because I can't run Quicktime solo. Does anybody have any advice?

Did anybody else experience similar behavior?

Custom Build, Windows XP Pro, 64-bit

Posted on Sep 10, 2008 8:13 PM

7 replies

Sep 10, 2008 9:44 PM in response to DaftPunker

DaftPunker wrote:
Could apple please make Quicktime compatible with XP 64. I have some background in programming and it really wouldn't be that difficult.

Why? The only 64 bit compatibility that has ever been advertised is with Vista 64 bit. XP 64 bot was never widely implemented by users? Why waste resources devoted to an operating system that few will ever take advantage of? Unless you have access to Apple's source code, you cannot make any claims about how easy it is to code it.

Sep 14, 2008 1:22 PM in response to Paul Judd

FYI, XP x64 is basically just a rebranded Server 2003. It's apparently not too different from Vista x64 as I had it running on my XP x64 system within minutes of downloading iTunes864Setup.exe. All I did was change the version that the installer was looking for and copy one driver file to another location (apparently iTunes is hard-coded to look for that file in the location where Vista puts it).

I personally find XP x64 to be the best version of Windows I've used so far. It's rock-solid and the only problems I've had are installing iTunes.

iTunes 8 on Windows XP x64

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.