Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FlashNet & SpectraLogic Gator on XSAN

I'm trying to get a SpectraLogic 12K library to work on an XSAN with FlashNet software running on an XServe with 10.4.2. Getting the software to see the (brand new) library isn't going well. Has anybody gotten this, or something similar to work?

Roger

Posted on Sep 30, 2005 5:26 PM

5 replies

Oct 12, 2005 4:30 PM in response to Community User

I may finally get this running. The problem with the SpectraLogic 12K turned out to be some really funky stuff with their handling of WWNs, and their software's apparent inability to see 2 fiber interfaces on one QIP (controller). Right now, I have 2 QIPs in the box and the 2 port B's hooked up and it seems to communicate. I signed off on the bill today.

FlashNet apparently can't handle ACFS. My backups from SAN volumes have failed with read and write errors. I did 3 backups totaling ~130GB from the root drive today, and they went fine. Actually, they flew! AIT2 tapes with AIT3 machines getting 19+MB/s. Tomorrow, change things to DAS.

Maybe I'll even be able to get this running before the service contract expires!

Roger

Nov 8, 2005 6:23 PM in response to Richie Murray

Rich,

Thanks for the reply. I ended up dropping the SAN and going direct-attached. Interestingly, FlashNet was having trouble with the AppleDouble files, the other files were okay. I've been archiving with FlashNet since 2001 and FlashNet is more important than SAN.

The XSAN still has one butt-biter for me, though, I've lost serialnumberd and I believe that it was the deinstall of XSAN that took it.

Thanks again!

Roger

Nov 9, 2005 6:58 PM in response to Richie Murray

Actually, I disagree. I think that the FlashNet port is pretty poor (v5.7.07). I had to change my workflow around as I migrated to OSX because tpcp doesn't work, I keep getting shared memory errors if too many people have FN windows open, their distributor program isn't right and now I'm getting a number of files not being written out (error W030) on restores from AIT2 tapes that were archived a couple of months ago!

They're killing me fairly quickly.

Roger

FlashNet & SpectraLogic Gator on XSAN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.