Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't the Genius Playlist work on my 1st gen touch?

Hi,

I've upgraded both iTunes and my touch to the current versions and enabled the Genius feature in iTunes (and it's working well) but whenever I try and use it on the touch I get a message:

*Genius Playlists*
Genius playlists are not enabled.
Use iTunes to enable Genius Playlists.

Have I missed a tickbox somewhere?

Thanks.

Mac Pro (Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Sep 13, 2008 4:10 AM

5 replies

Sep 13, 2008 6:24 AM in response to Roy van der Woning

Just found a tip elsewhere on this site and it worked for me:

After syncing your iPod once, the Genius feature will not be turned on on your iPod and you will get the stupid error message. With your iPod connected to your computer you can easily turn on Genius on your iPod. Simply click "Update Genius" under the "store" menu bar. After it has updated re-sync your iPod and everything should work fine.

Oct 10, 2008 10:14 PM in response to Feek

Unfortunately, that did not work for me. I just got an iPod touch and while the Genius feature works in iTunes, it is not available on the iPod, even after several syncs and Genius updates. The sync process itself also takes forever even when nothing changed on either the iPod or the computer. Very frustrating. Another odd thing is that iTunes syncs Podcasts to the device that have not been selected in the device setup page ...

Why doesn't the Genius Playlist work on my 1st gen touch?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.