Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brother HL-5250DN Network Setup

Hi,

I've tried all of the instructions on the Brother website to get my printer working over my network but it just won't go. The best I can get is some random characters printed at the top of an infinitely long print job that I have to cancel.

Has anyone successfully set this printer up over the network? USB printing works fine.

Thank you!

iBook G4 1.33, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Sep 13, 2008 10:44 AM

3 replies

Sep 13, 2008 1:37 PM in response to htmld

Hi htmld, and a warm welcome to the forums! 🙂

Brother's are generally pretty Mac friendly, I have an HL-4070CDW, but their models are really like peas in a pod as far as drivers go, except some have BRScript, some don't. Mine is setup for Wifi, Ethernet, USB, and Parallel.

Are you using the CUPs driver...

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/5704/brother-cups-drivers

Or this...

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/brotherprinterdriver11.html

Sep 13, 2008 1:38 PM in response to htmld

There may be a way to use different drivers (such as Gimp or Gutenprint)
to change some aspects of this printer's activity on a network...

Some may offer more features, but then may not offer more actual support.
Other than that line of thought, I have no other immediate ideas on this one.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Sep 13, 2008 9:27 PM in response to htmld

I have this same printer connected to an airport network at home. I use the driver from Brother's support website with Tiger 10.4.11. I have several other macs using it as well without problems. It should register using Bonjour.

Can you log in to the printer administration page? It should be available via HTTP within your network. I have had problems in the past and I have it using a fixed IP address which you can set via the printer admin page.

Can you tell me more about your network setup? Modem -> Router&DNS server ->Printer?

R Burgos

Brother HL-5250DN Network Setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.