Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Personal Finance Software with Desktop App

I am looking for software that will let me enter my financial transactions and keep track of bills I need to pay on my iPod touch, but one that I will also be able to sync to and do the same on my Mac. I have heard that iBank 3 gives you iPhone/iPod Touch support, but it says that it is done through Safari which doesn't sound like it would be very good for me since I assume you need an internet connection to use the app on the iPod Touch, and there is not much public wifi where I live. I would like to just store the transactions on the iPod and sync it when I connect to my mac and/or get a wifi connection. So if iBank will do this, please let me know.

I heard that SplashMoney would do this and I tried the demo on my Mac and saw that it seemed to be able to do what I wanted, but I didn't like that in order to change the amount entered on a recurring bill you had to record the bill and then go to the account and change it. I don't know about everyone else, but my bill amounts vary every month... I also didn't like that when you download transactions from your bank, it doesn't automatically match them to previously entered transactions.

So please let me know if iBank on the iPod requires an internet connection when you want to use it, or if I'm missing something in SplashMoney, or i there is any other s/w that will work on both my iPod and my Mac.

iMac / iPod Touch 2G, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Sep 13, 2008 6:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2008 5:23 AM

Hi, moneydance is a product that can be used on windows, Linux and mac, and if you look at the forums, the developers at moneydance are working on an ipod / iphone version that will use the .mac (now .me) function to actually synchronise data.

I haven't bought the product yet, as I'm struggling to import 8 years worth of MS money files accurately, so it doesn't work for me just yet.

I've been looking for the products you describe for three months now, and moneydance is the closest I can find.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2008 5:23 AM in response to everkleer

Hi, moneydance is a product that can be used on windows, Linux and mac, and if you look at the forums, the developers at moneydance are working on an ipod / iphone version that will use the .mac (now .me) function to actually synchronise data.

I haven't bought the product yet, as I'm struggling to import 8 years worth of MS money files accurately, so it doesn't work for me just yet.

I've been looking for the products you describe for three months now, and moneydance is the closest I can find.

Sep 14, 2008 12:43 PM in response to Mooseman999

Thanks Mooseman, I am checking out Moneydance and I just added a post right below yours in the Moneydance forum thread on iPod/iPhone support. I downloaded the demo of Moneydance and I haven't done much with it yet but I see that the two things that I didn't like about Splashmoney both work like I want in Moneydance.

Message was edited by: everkleer

Dec 7, 2008 3:47 PM in response to everkleer

I've been using MoneyDance for about a year and like it. I've also seen the post about them working on an app for the iPhone, but there hasn't been a peep since. Out of curiosity, I've been trying out iBank for the past week. I can confirm that the current method iBank uses through the web and Me.com com synching is nice, but does not allow updates when you are not connected to the internet. However, on their blog, they say they are also working on an app that would presumably allow this.

Between the two, iBank is visually more appealing, but so far seems a little more difficult to use (but still good). I'm not yet sure if the difficulty is real or just me adjusting. I'm mainly poking around because the one thing MoneyDance does not do well for me is forecasting to my next paycheck considering future amounts in my register + amounts in my reminders. So, I have to pre-enter all of my upcoming bills to get to the balance of cash I have left to spend. iBank seems to do the forecasting better. But there are always trade offs.

Personal Finance Software with Desktop App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.