Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod nano works with USB 1.1 but not USB 2.0

Anyone using an iPod nano that works with USB 1.1 but not with USB 2.0? I am using Windows XP and when installing the iPod software from CD it recognizes the iPod and am able to transfer songs using iTunes but when installing SP1 or SP2 to enable USB 2.0 transfers, Windows XP only recognizes the iPod nano as a USB Mass Storage Device. This is the same with iPod Updater.

Posted on Sep 24, 2005 1:31 PM

11 replies

Sep 27, 2005 6:12 PM in response to Robert Livesey1

I'm on nForce4, and all is well for me so far. How many USB2 ports are on the MSI board. Have you tried a bios update for your board? Did you verify your USB settings in the BIOS? Did you try it on another PC?

Not that this is your problem, but I am not impressed with the quality of the dock cable that shipped with my iPod nano. Mine is working fine, and I may be overstating my concern, but they look flimsy compare to other types of cables... Just throwing that thought out there.

I also have an nForce2 board... will try my nano on that later this evening and make sure it works okay. I realize I don't have the "in between" nForce3 250 system, but the USB controls from nForce2 - nForce4 shouldn't have changed too much on the chipsets.

Another suggestion would to post your issue in the forums at http://www.nforcershq.com/ - See if anyone else that shares your hardware also shares your woes.

Sep 28, 2005 1:50 PM in response to Robert Livesey1

Could be some type of device conflict (IRQ) with the USB2 and some other PCI card. What do you have enabled on the board and what additional cards do you have in the PCI slots? Got a big enough PSU? Depending on your GPU, you may need as much as 400W. I had no problems on my Asus A7N8X-Deluxe rev2.0 board and the nano... My Windows XP SP2 was installed via a SP2 slipsteamed CD (instructions are on the web) and I have the latest nForce drivers. Are you using ActiveArmor? Not that it's the issue, but I have mine set as not-offloadable. I have strange issues when I try to offload NIC processing to the chipset and not the CPU. Also, make sure you have the latest nForce drivers from the nvidia web site.

Sep 28, 2005 2:03 PM in response to Robert Livesey1

I have a similar problem with the following configuration:

- Dell Dimension 4100 Desktop with 2 integrated USB 1.1 ports, Windows 2000 SP 4
- PCI 6-Ports USB 2.0 Card ("Mentor" resp. www.bona.com.tw), Model USB20-PCI/6P

What works well?
- All my USB add-ons (1.1 and 2.0) on the internal 1.1 ports as well as on the USB2.0 PCI card
- iPod Nano 4GB on internal 1.1 ports (external drive in windows 2000 as well as iPod in iTunes)
- iPod Nano works as well as on the USB 2.0 card ONLY WHEN my old 4-port USB1.1 hub is connected between Nano and USB card

What doesn't works?
My iPod Nano directly connected to the USB 2.0 card. Symptoms when connecting:
- Windows is very slow, process "scvhost.exe" or "system.exe" using 99% of CPU for some minutes
- iPod is recognised as external drive, but when I click on it, it is empty and copying files to it results in "I/O error"
- iTunes doesn't recognise the iPod (of course, if even windows itself cannot read from it...)

I removed all USB drivers, reinstalled iTunes, iPod (by the way, I still don't understand what "iPod update" is good for, except for updating the iPod's firmware), deactivate the internal USB1.1 ports, no result.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 30, 2005 6:44 AM in response to Tracy Bossong

I tried everything, changing PCI slots, reinstalling everything I could think of, trying new usbstor.inf and others .inf, no use. But I'm certain that it has something with wrong drivers in W2K (the Nano works on other computers with USB 2.0 and my USB 2.0 card works with others USB 2.0 peripherals).

No hope.

So, let's stop trying before all my other USB peripherals stop to work!!! With Micros * on your desktop, it is anyway a wonder if at least your keyboard and mouse work...

iPod nano works with USB 1.1 but not USB 2.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.