Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Your network settings have been changed by another application"

What does it mean and why won't my computer let me connect to the router? The connection is good. My desktop is getting the DSL signal and the airport indicator also shows that there's a strong signal. But when I open a browser there's no connection. I keep checking and rechecking my settings and it keeps giving me the same error message (that the settings have been changed by another application). No matter what I do, the same thing happens. I even tried different routers (first Airport, now I'm on Linskeys.)

I'm using my PowerBook G4 to try to connect wireless. It connected fine to other networks in the past.

Help please. Thanks!!

PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on Sep 14, 2008 11:32 AM

64 replies

Sep 16, 2008 4:30 AM in response to James A. Weston

I'm getting the same error message - in an endless loop.
I get this because I tried to change my computer's DNS servers to OpenDNS. I can't get beyond the basic "Network" window in System Preferences before that message starts popping up.
I just installed the latest security update. Don't know if that has anything to do with it.
If I wanted to empty the caches in the web browsers, how would I do it? I don't think that's the problem, however, that leads to that error message: Your network settings have been changed by another application." .... ???

Sep 16, 2008 6:21 AM in response to erewash

Same here. I just downloaded the update (9/16/08) and cannot access the network tab in the System Preferences... I get the loop message "your network settings have been changed by another application." Fortunately, everything is working but I cannot make any changes. The problem is with my Macbook running 10.4.11... obviously a bug with the update..

Sep 16, 2008 7:07 AM in response to James A. Weston

Fail. What would the DNS settings or web browser cache have to do with a dialog from SysPrefs?? Maybe he should make sure his mouse is plugged in, too.

Also, OpenDNS is Open but not Free - their practice of hijacking google.com for their own profit is really annoying.

Servers 4.2.2.1 thru 4.2.2.5 are anycast servers run by Level3 that are reliable and do what they are supposed to do - answer domain queries, and nothing else. I would use those.

So. Same problem with the latest Security Update in 10.4.11. Apple QA for the win once again. Jobs should be rolling his stealth Mercedes over some of the management heads down there.

Sep 16, 2008 9:07 AM in response to James A. Weston

I am with the people who think it is the security update that did it. I have to switch between locations home and work . . . and it just started happening to me after the update download.

I was at least able to get around the endless loop of screens by a two hand maneuver. I used the return key to click the "OK" button on the "Your network settings have been changed by another application" screen and then immediately clicked on the "location" pull down menu and was able to get in before the next alert screen came down.

Then I pulled down to "edit" on that location pull down, and for no real reason, clicked rename and then cancel. The endless loop of alerts went away and came back after I closed system prefs, but it was gone long enough to switch locations . . .

hope that helps somebody.

cheers,
e

Sep 16, 2008 10:25 AM in response to yoojin's apa

I've had the same result after installing the latest security patch, and have had to use the two hand method of hitting the return key, quickly followed by a left handed mouse click to close the window. I hope we see another update soon, particularly for those of us with 10.4.11. I've not tried deleting the caches with Cocktail, but will try this if necessary in due course.

Sep 16, 2008 2:49 PM in response to monimac

I have same problem here!!!
But I found a temporary solution. After I changed network location as described by "yoojin's apa" above in this thread, I pressed lock icon to lock network settings against changes. It works until now without any problems! Please take note, it looks I had to lock it twice on two different pages of network settings: once on Airport (I connect at home thru Airport) and another time on Network Status. This confuses me a bit, but I do not want to experiment with the settings again. Hope it helps someone.

"Your network settings have been changed by another application"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.