Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best portable external Harddrive for FCP

Im looking for a portable hard-drive to use with my Macbook and FCP so I can do some editing away from my main system.

I understand Firewire is the way to go here. Also 7200 RPM is the best. However - it seems like Bus powered FW 7200 rpm external hard-drives are very hard to come by,,,,?

Would 5400rpm be ok?

Any advice?

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Sep 15, 2008 6:14 AM

6 replies

Sep 15, 2008 7:03 AM in response to SWAN909808

Is this is a MacBook or MacBook Pro? If a MacBook Pro you can get a card to hook up eSATA drives.

How portable is portable? Do you mean a real small drive or is something bigger okay? Sometimes I carry larger drives in enclosure, such as the one bay Wiebetech Silver SATA, http://www.wiebetech.com/products/silversata.php other times I use the smaller [physically] drives.

Anyway I have edited DV and HDV on small drives, even 5,400 RPM drives, but faster is usually better. For a couple of streams things like those offered by OWC work fine. And most of the OWCs work fine on bus power. I had one or two large ones that I think required adapters (may have been just the old eSATA one). But I know without even looking that all the 80 - 160 Gigs worked without a hitch. Think the 250s also

Then there are things like this

www.g-technology.com/products/G-RAID-mini.cfm

Which is a small portable RAID (they also have small single drive set-ups.)

Sep 15, 2008 7:03 AM in response to SWAN909808

I've been using an OWC Mercury On-The-Go Pro drive (120GB) and it's been flawless.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/on-the-go

They have capacities up to 320GB at 7200 RPM (which I'd stick with for editing) and they're reasonably priced. I've dropped mine a couple of times with no issues - it's built quite well. Highly recommended. Best to you and happy editing!

Sep 15, 2008 7:39 AM in response to SWAN909808

SWAN909808 wrote:

The OWC drives look perfect - but alas I dont think they are available in the UK. If they are please let me know!

They are only available via OWCs website (macsales.com) AFAIK though I could be wrong. Drop them an email or use the Live Chat and see if they ship to the U.K. (though that may get pricey) but worth a shot.

Best portable external Harddrive for FCP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.