Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicate files being created in Final Cut Server

We have existing FCP projects that share the same media. When uploading the project files into server, it's creating multiple instances of the same connected media files. How do we get it to recognize that this is the same media and that it's shared?

Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Sep 15, 2008 5:57 PM

8 replies

Mar 12, 2009 8:32 PM in response to harmoniousone

You can set up a scan when you create a new device in System Preferences:
go to System Preferences --> FCSVR Pref pane --> Devices Pane and then choose create new device ("+" sign and the Device Assistant will appear. You choose the type and then you can set up a Full or Add only Scan here.)
Other option is to set up a Scan via the Administration window in the Java Client:
This is not as easy since there is no Device Assistant.
go to Admin window in Java Client --> Response and then create a new 'Scan' response on the device you want to scan. 'Scan Productions' is something different, maybe you want that instead, I don't know. Depending on how you set it up, it can create a Production in FCSVR catalogue for each folder or subfolder and that media will be scanned and placed into that Production in FCSVR catalogue.
Anyways, once you create the Scan Response, go to Admin pane --> Schedule. Create a new schedule and add the 'Scan' response you just created to the "Response List" section. Don't forget to check "Enabled"...can't tell you how many times I created the response but then forgot to enable it.

Once you scan the assets, they are in the FCSVR catalogue with clip proxies, thumbnails and posterframes. If you have existing FCP projects that use this media, you will want to make sure the media in the FCP project is connected to that same media that was scanned. When you upload the FCP project, it will not dup the assets, just add the FCP project to it, unless you didn't set the EIP device correctly. If you look in Search All Jobs, the only thing that should be generated at this point it Edit Proxies (if you enabled them) and Elements.

Now my question to you is the same as Chris' question here http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9147105#9147105. How did you set things up so far? What is your workflow? Where is your media?

Mar 20, 2009 11:46 AM in response to Linnnnn

Lin,

I have setup a device to scan daily and am putting all my common media files into that folder. When I create a FCP project, should I be dragging the shared media directly from the Final Cut Server window or should I copy it from the network?

Final Cut Server running on OS X 10.5.6 attached to 14GB or Firewire Storage.
All this storage is shared over our Gbit ethernet network.

Workflow is that Interns Capture media files into FCP project. Upload project to Final Cut Server. Editors pull project from Final Cut Server and add brand identity and edit together. Project is copied back to Final Cut Server for storage and final output is uploaded to Final Cut Server and Archived. We do not have an X-San so must cache all assets to get them on local editing stations.

Mar 21, 2009 8:18 PM in response to Linnnnn

I'm trying to grasp this but it's not working for me.

As a test I created a new device (a local folder) and added some clips to it from a previously saved FCP Project. I set up a scan. When completed - proxies, thumbnails, and posterframes were created. All assets were successfully catalogued.

When I pull the FCP Project file into FC Server, the project file uploads to this new device and FC Server also creates a new Media Asset subfolder with dupes of all the original clips.

When I view my assets in the client app. they're all duped.

Am I missing a setting?

thx.

-paul.

Mar 25, 2009 8:31 PM in response to Paul Figgiani

Ah excellent... I should have been more clear above about what it means to set up the edit-in-place device correctly. If you set up XSAN as a device using the XSAN setting in the Device assistant, it makes the device Edit-in-place (EIP) automatically. If you have another device that isn't XSAN, and you choose Network or Local device in the setup assistant of the Pref pane, you have to then manually go into the Admin window on the Java Client, go into Devices, double-click on the device you just created in the pref pane and copy and paste the paths of the device into the Edit-in-place section.

Duplicate files being created in Final Cut Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.