Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstall iPod software

Since I upgraded my iPod some months ago to v1.3 I have found the device is not working correctly.
Following the upgrade the device hung completely, but no it will work sometimes not.
When it does work the screen mostly is white with a few lines accross it, and on very rare occasions it works OK.

I have done a Restore within iTunes, but this has not helped, so I was hoping there is a way I can reinstall the software on the iPod to v1.2 or a new copy of v1.3

Does anyone know if this is possible or have any other suggestion?

DELL, Windows Vista, Slow ;)

Posted on Sep 17, 2008 3:25 AM

5 replies

Sep 17, 2008 9:32 AM in response to julian_brunt

I think the FW version is 1.1.3, not 1.3, but in any case you should be able to go back to 1.1.2 if you ever downloaded it in the past.

To do that, try another Restore but this time hold the Shift key as you click the "Restore" button. You'll see a pop-up window showing prior versions of firmware that are already on your computer. If 1.1.2 is shown, you can select that and it should install. Note though that if your iPod came with 1.1.2 you won't have it on your computer. Your computer will only have firmware which you download from Apple by doing an iPod update from within iTunes.

If you want a fresh copy of 1.1.3 you can try this if you're a Windows user:

1- CLOSE iTUNES and then use +My Computer+ to locate the folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\ +(your Windows account)+ \Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

2- Look for a file with the .ipsw extension that is named something that looks like "iPod1,1_1.1.3" in the name (sorry, don't recall the exact name).

3- Don't delete this file, just move it to another location that you'll remember.

4- Start iTunes and connect your iPod. You should be notified that a new firmware version (1.1.3) is available. If you choose to Update, you'll re-download a fresh copy for your iPod. I always recommend the option to "Download Only", not "Download and Install". I then install the firmware after it successfully downloads by pressing the Update button again. I do it this way because I don't trust the way Apple handles the download-to-intall transition. +(I do something similar for iTunes updates too -- download the install file direct from Apple, then install manually)+

5- Once you've updated to a new copy of 1.1.3 you can delete the .ipsw file from step #3.

Sep 17, 2008 11:09 AM in response to sm01

The current firmware for the 5th gen iPods is V1.3.

I'm sure the topic's been covered before. You may have more luck in the Fifth Generation iPod discussions or try a search for "Downgrade iPod firmware" on the web at large. That said, I have two 5th gen iPod's running V.13 quite happily. Your issues are just as likely to be related to the hardware or the data you put on it as they are to the firmware version. If previous restores have been unsuccessful perhaps you should consider this: Erase your iPod - The Super Fix for most iPod Problems. Basically a low level format of the iPod’s hard drive to get around whatever problems are stopping iTunes from restoring it properly.

tt2

Sep 22, 2008 7:17 PM in response to julian_brunt

i upgraded the firmware of my 80gb ipod classic to 1.1.3, the problem is though, it needs the newest version of itunes in order for it to work

So, i want to downgrade, the problem is though, the whole ipod menu can't even be accessed and a warning message pops up saying "The iPod cannot be used because it requires iTunes version 7.6 or later"

But my Operating System isn't compatible with itunes 7.6 or later.

How can i restore it?

here's what ive tried:

i closed itunes
i completely formatted my entire iPod
i ejected it
disconnected the cord
it reset itself
when it asked which language i connected the cord back in
opened up itunes still displayed the same warning message.

so, i closed itunes again
formatted my ipod
this time i didn't eject or disconnect the cord
and opened up itunes
still same result

so i closed itunes
formatted my ipod
ejected,but didn't disconnect the cord
and opened up itunes

this looked more promising as the ipod did the natural synchronizing and whatnot
but still the error came up

seriously, i have no way of adding anything to my ipod with the current firmware
i have the firmware files of a known working firmware, but i need to be able to access the ipod screen in itunes! gah!

Message was edited by: RWS-24

Reinstall iPod software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.