Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Update 2.1 Hangs at 75%

Has anyone else had this chronic problem?

EVERY update Apple has released locks up my phone at 75%. I've heard other users having success with doing a restore, but that has yet to work for me.

<Edited by Moderator>

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.4), Leopard

Posted on Sep 18, 2008 11:55 AM

15 replies

Sep 18, 2008 12:01 PM in response to LoveToCookSF

I am sorry to hear of your problems but for the record Apple is not wasting ALL of OUR time. I have had no problems doing what you've tried to do and I would love to help to find out what is different between what I did (successfully) and what you did (unsuccessfully).

How about some more specific information about what/where/when/how and less rant and I'm sure that others in the forum will do all they can to help....

Sep 18, 2008 12:16 PM in response to LoveToCookSF

Pretty much how I described. In the screen which reads, "Restoring iPhone Software", the progress bar hangs at around 75%. On the iPhone screen it's just the wheel spinning 'round and 'round with the apple logo above it.

I've tried taking it out of the dock, putting it back in, then doing a full restore, however that doesn't work either.

I then uninstalled/reinstalled iTunes, rebooted, and THAT didn't work, either. I'm pretty much at a loss here, and the only thing that has worked in the past is to actually go into the Apple store and have them do a restore at the Genius bar.

Needless to say I'm extremely frustrated, hence the "rant". I never thought maintaining a phone would occupy so much of my time. Apple, we all have much better things to do with our time.

Sep 18, 2008 12:25 PM in response to deggie

I am also having this same issue....apple store cannot see me until end of day tomorrow and needless to say, going with out a phone for nearly 2 days is creating QUITE an issue. When I went in for assistance, they told me to hold down the circular button, while docking...which I did. I get the message saying I need to restore, click OK and then it hangs and never restores. if I unplug, it gives me the picture saying I need to dock....this all started when I installed the 2.1 'upgrade'....help!

Sep 18, 2008 12:29 PM in response to LoveToCookSF

Same thing here! Apple can't fix my phone at the Genius Bar until tomorrow afternoon. They said that a LOT of people are having the same problem with the update turning their phone into a worthless brick.

To answer the last guy's question, I have brought my laptop in with the phone and they don't think my computer is the problem.

I've also had to replace my iPhone three times, for various problems and defects.

I just tried holding the circle button while docking, and that solution didn't work for me either.

Does anyone know how to delete the update files so iTunes has to reinstall them?

Sep 18, 2008 12:42 PM in response to LoveToCookSF

I CAN understand your frustration, believe me. I'm a fairly new/rediscovered Apple user and one of the first things I discovered was that while you can see the spinning wheel then 'something' is happening and it is ONLY when the wheel stops spinning for half a minute or so that you even need to consider getting a little anxious!

If you think about the speed of a USB connection (even USB2.0) and the amount of data needing to be transferred AND unpacked AND validated then you can see that SOME phases MAY take some time.

I HAVE been anxious in the past about whether or not I could trust things to finish correctly AND completely but experience has shown me that to interrupt this process is the LAST thing that I should do!!

Firstly I would suggest taking a patience-pill (also known as put on a video and get yourself a coffee/beer/etc, take a deep breath and think of something totally different that requires your brain-power. When you need another coffee/beer/etc then have a look to see if anything has happened.... If there is a progress-bar then put the cursor at the end of it and then when you return you will be able to see if the bar has moved even slightly....

So far, about 90% of the problems I've seen reported here could have been saved by people either reading the user guide or being patient during updates/syncing/backing-up rather than expecting an immediate response to their action. <Shrug> My Dad told me when I was young that patience is a virtue not everyone possesses and then when when I was older he modified it to patience is a virtue possessed by only the few - perhaps because in the years in between the world changed towards 'instant gratification' to the detriment of all, perhaps?

Anyway, whether any of that is relevant, Good Luck!

Sep 18, 2008 12:46 PM in response to LoveToCookSF

I appreciate your insight, but this is now the THIRD time I've had problems with Apple's iPhone update. They claim it's going to fix everything and make things work better, but that's just not the case.

I waited while the progress bar sat at 75% for almost an hour. I came back from lunch and nothing had changed. I think I've been patient enough.

I've also been reading forums on DIGG, Slashdot, etc., so I've done my homework. The people at Apple and their forums are NO help. Two days without a phone is unacceptable

Sep 18, 2008 12:58 PM in response to LoveToCookSF

I know that an hour seems like a long time but firstly, are you sure that you are using a USB2.0 port (not just any old USB port)? That alone could/might account for the 'extended' time of the update.

Sadly, 'the devil IS in the detail' of the instructions where updates are concerned.

If you're not prepared to wait for the update to complete (and to trust that you will know if and when it does) then you might find that there are fewer people prepared (to try) to help....

Sep 18, 2008 1:41 PM in response to LoveToCookSF

Following the instructions (as did I) should have produced the same result, surely? Technology IS deterministic to some extent? If you have such problems AND have followed ALL of the instructions TO THE LETTER then get your iPhone changed because YOU are SOOOOO right......AND I may have my faults but being WRONG isn't ANY of them! There are things you haven't waited for and things you've assumed, any and all of which could account for your problems......

....'hanging at 75%' with the spin-wheel running to me does not mean 'hanging' at all (in my humble experience and opinion), sorry.....

Sep 18, 2008 6:15 PM in response to RestlessFool

ok - here is what I found out today.....when itunes is installing the 2.1 patch - if you have any kind of hiccup in connectivity, it appears to corrupt the files. Once you put it on your phone, its screwed. You won't be able to 'redownload' 2.1, BUT if you connect to another person's itunes that successfully downloaded 2.1, u will be able to restore your iPhone successfully. I did it this evening from a friend's itunes and my phone is working perfectly now. Hope this helps. =o)

Sep 18, 2008 8:26 PM in response to LoveToCookSF

Hi everyone. I think I can help, as I have just gone through this myself.

This problem relates to the iPhone software upgrade to v2.1 and the fact that you must upgrade iTunes to version 8 before upgrading the iPhone software to latest version (patch with improved battery performance etc..). Unfortunately, you are not advised of this beforehand.

Good news is that it's a relatively easy fix. Bad news is that your iPhone will be restored to original factory settings.

Process;
1. Upgrade iTunes to version 8 and leave iTunes running.
2. Power down iPhone completely by holding down 'home' button and power button together for five seconds. White Apple logo will appear on iPhone's screen and then it will go blank.
3. Hold down 'home' button and connect iPhone to PC using USB cable. Release 'home' button as soon as the white Apple logo appears.
4. You will get an error message. Clear it. Another message stating iPhone needs to be restored to factory settings. Click 'yes' (you've no option!).
5. Message will advise that restore is being effected (and will take a few minutes) - followed by another message advising restore is complete, iPhone is restarting, and to leave iPhone connected to PC.
6. Several messages appear on screen of iPhone, but eventually you're back to what you origianlly took out of the box - albeit, with the latest version of iPhone software installed.
7. Effect personalisation of iPhone and remember to take regular back-ups in case this happens again!!

Hope that helps.

Rgds,

Rolfee.

Software Update 2.1 Hangs at 75%

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.