3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2008 10:40 AM by PT
Timothy Holt Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
If you have more than 500 songs in iTunes, sooner or later, you will end up with missing, broken or dead links.

Unlike some who address this issue, I genuinely have missing songs, so wish to export a list so I can then re-import them.

Itunes dupes barrier will create a list of “dead” tracks, but I cannot export it.

I don’t want to remove the broken links until I have decided if I still want the songs or not.

Any ideas?

Powerbook 15", Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • PT Level 7 Level 7 (20,880 points)

Timothy Holt wrote:
    If you have more than 500 songs in iTunes, sooner or later, you will end up with missing, broken or dead links.

Nearly 10,000 tracks in my iTunes library and I have NEVER had that issue. Perhaps your statement should be something like, if you start messing around with your folders and files and moving them around, renaming them, etc. outside of iTunes without knowing what you are doing, then you will end up with dead links and missing files. That would probably be more accurate.

Itunes dupes barrier will create a list of “dead” tracks, but I cannot export it.

"Itunes dupes barrier" ??? I assume you mean the Show Duplicates function? If so, then when you get that list, all you have to do is a Select All then open your favorite spreadsheet and paste the list in. Everything will line up in nice columns and rows. You can paste into a word processor or text edited as well, but it may be a bit jumbled in the formatting.

Cheers,
    Patrick
  • Timothy Holt Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Patrick you do have a point.

I have 47,910 songs in my library as of this morning, but have had the hard disk on which I keep my files go south - twice - Data rescue saved 99.9% of my files (I think). Hence the missing songs.

It used to be straightforward to rebuild itunes completely with playlists and ratings - create playlists for 1,2,3,4&5 stars, then export all playlists and re-import songs and playlist file. Go into star playlists and re-label them - voila).

If one tediously compared the new exported song-list with the old, using excel, one could identify which songs had been lost, and re-import them.

Itunes dupes barrier had a "dead tracks" option at the bottom - which creates a list just like it does for duplicates - but unlike duplicates - it will not create a playlist than can then be exported.

You cannot paste the list since you cannot copy it for the window created - so a little stumped.
  • PT Level 7 Level 7 (20,880 points)
    Ok so since you still didn't explain what "Itunes dupes barrier" was, I had to look it up and see it is just a third party software tool to find duplicates. So my question is, how is it different/better than the one built into iTunes? And have you looked at the many different Apple Scripts which will also look for duplicates AND some will find tracks with missing links, and put them into their own playlist?

Patrick