Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get iTunes to see Rio Forge?

Anybody know how to get iTunes to work with a Rio Forge?

I'm using iTunes version 8.0, OS X 10.5.5, and a Rio Forge (256 MB).

When I hook the Rio Forge to my MacBook Pro, Finder sees it. I can even open it in Finder and delete stuff. However, I can't add stuff.

iTunes doesn't see the Rio Forge at all.

Rio provides an iTunes plugin, but the installer hangs.

To install the plugin, you download the "iTunes Plugin Installer". However, when I run the installer installer, the window "Installing iTunes Plugin Installer" hangs during "Installing... Info.plist".

The installer has the Rio logo and "InstallAnywhere by Zero G" on it, and comes from the Rio site ( http://www.rioaudio.com/itunes/WebInstaller_OSX/installOSX.asp), but the Rio tech support insists that it's not theirs. :c)

Looking through the logs, the only entires that look useful are in the system.log:

Sep 19 13:30:03 MuggsBook [0x0-0x4a04a].Install[556]: [JavaAppLauncher] application launched with ppc-thin application stub. Using native application stub instead.
Sep 19 13:30:03 MuggsBook [0x0-0x4a04a].Install[556]: [JavaAppLauncher] A 64-bit JVM is available for 1.5.0
Sep 19 13:30:03 MuggsBook [0x0-0x4a04a].Install[556]: [JavaAppLauncher] JVMArchs not found in Java dictionary
Sep 19 13:30:03 MuggsBook Install[556]: CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary.

Apple support says that "Old-style plist parser" errors don't come from the OS. That makes sense. They're probably coming from the Rio installer software.

Suggestions?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.5), Rio Forge 256 MB player

Posted on Sep 19, 2008 2:50 PM

9 replies

Sep 19, 2008 3:09 PM in response to CasperGemini

Nope. Dragging and dropping files onto my Rio Forge, in Finder, yields the error, "The item <filename> cannot be copied because there is not enough free space." However, both Finder and my Rio Forge say that the Forge is empty.

I know there's some sort of connection, though, because I was able to use Finder to delete the stuff that used to be on my Forge.

Thanks

Sep 19, 2008 3:46 PM in response to MuggsMcGinnis

Hmm. I tried looking for another download location to see if maybe the one you've used is just a bad file. No such luck though... wasn't able to find it anywhere.

Their website says that the Rio should have come with an install disk in the box. I don't see any information regarding what's on it... have you tried installing from that CD?

I can't seem to find a way around this... maybe someone else who's run into the same thing might be able to explain how they got around it.

CG

Dec 27, 2008 6:49 AM in response to MuggsMcGinnis

I have the same problem with my Rio Cali 256mb. I tried to install the iTunes patch that Rio provides but i get the same hangup on info.plist.

My iMac sees the Cali in System Profile, but not finder. And if i start iTunes with the player pluged in, i get a screen telling me to force restart the iMac, and i lose all control, other than to hold the power button down.

My question is, is there anyway to install the patch to iTunes with out going through the installer from Rio? Is able to be done manually?

Jan 10, 2009 7:23 AM in response to MuggsMcGinnis

My Rio Cali 128 player has worked great for 4-5 years. All of a sudden, it stopped connecting to my Mac with iTunes. Every connection freezes the entire Mac (pretty bad crash in Mac terms). I'm certain that an upgrade ruined the connectivity, either the OS 10.5.5 --> 10.5.6, or else the iTunes 8.0 --> 8.0.2 update.

Get this, I figured it was because my old Cali mini-USB port was rusted from 4 years of sweat from running. So I bought a new Cali on eBay.

Anyone find a solution yet? I don't want to have to buy another mp3 player because of this. I need one with mp3, FM radio, and sports/sweat-resistance, Cali remains a good choice, as long as it plays nice with my Mac.

-- Josh

Jan 23, 2009 6:29 PM in response to MuggsMcGinnis

Sad to say, I've tried this on several different Macs, on Tiger, Panther and Jaguar, and all of them hang at info.plist.

Somehow that file needs to be cracked out of the executable and then drop the plist file wherever it needs to go.

I've tried to open it with a few different utilities, no luck. Just need that **** file or two that are inside.

-rudy

How to get iTunes to see Rio Forge?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.