Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iDVD 08 movie length

Does iDVD 08 only allow 2 hours exactly of video (all video combined) when you burn to a single-layer DVD-R? Is there a way to allow for more time?

If not, are there comparable apps (quick/ease of use/themes) that would allow this?

Thanks, Deborah

iMac8, 1 (20"), Mac OS X (10.5.4), 2.66 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on Sep 19, 2008 10:01 PM

5 replies

Sep 19, 2008 10:30 PM in response to Xena Deb

give or take a few minutes and depending on things you add like motion menus, slideshows, audio, titles, etc., that's correct. 120 mins is about the max run time in BQ encoding mode that you will compress to a SL DvD-R using iDvd.

If you need to exceed the 120 minute mark then I'd recommend using Toast instead since it has a Fit to Dvd option which the i-apps do not. And if money is not an object, then consider FCS2 /DVDSP but keep in mind it has a much longer learning curve than Toast or any of the i-apps combined.

Message was edited by: SDMacuser

Sep 19, 2008 10:58 PM in response to SDMacuser

Thanks so much!

Your reply brought up another question, though.

Is there a way to tell in iDVD how close you are to your maximum time as you add each new movie, slideshow, etc.? To give me an idea as I go as to whether or not to use another program like Toast or make it a 2-DVD set. I hadn't realized motion menus, etc took up "time" on the DVD.

Also, is it possible to put anything non-media on the DVD such as a PDF, Word document, web page, etc.?

Thanks again!

Sep 19, 2008 11:15 PM in response to Xena Deb

Q: Is there a way to tell in iDVD how close you are to your maximum time as you add each new movie, slideshow, etc.?

A: Yes. Open iDvd and go to the top menu where it says "Project" and Look under project info. The Green bar lets you know how much available space is remaining on the media itself ....

Q: Also, is it possible to put anything non-media on the DVD such as a PDF, Word document, web page, etc.?

A: Yes. Add it/them to the dvd-rom section of the Dvd. The content on this section of the Dvd can only be accessed from a computer and not a typical Set top Dvd Player.

Message was edited by: SDMacuser

iDVD 08 movie length

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.