Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Storing PC files on Mac OS X?

Having transferred from a PC, can my PC files become corrupted by having them stored on my Mac OS X hard drive?

Is it okay to store Windows Media Player files, Outlook PST files, and other proprietary M$ files on my Mac hard drive? Will I damage those files?

I know that I cannot use the files unless I run Windows. However, is there any harm in just storing them?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Sep 19, 2008 10:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2008 12:20 AM

Yes.. No problems.. You can certainly transfer them and you can also use them..!
With Windows Media Player - you can just download the MAC OSX version.. No biggy..
For your other files give Apple a call..
Mac's a VERY compatible with PC's! You'd be VERY surprised! =]
Carl
8 replies

Sep 20, 2008 6:43 AM in response to Trisha K

Just a general follow-up to Carl's comment. Hard drives are hard drives and files are files. There is nothing inherent in a file system (what the operating system uses to navigate files on a disk) that will corrupt a file. So, in short, it is perfectly OK to store these files on a Mac - it will not damage them.

Sep 20, 2008 8:51 AM in response to Ehych

Thanks for putting up the link, Ehych. As you will see, there is no Media Player for OS X per se; what you use is a product from Flip4Mac that installs a QuickTime plugin that can handle most kinds of WMV content in the QuickTime player. Encrypted or protected content may not play, but it is a case-by-case basis.

As to getting the files themselves over to the Mac, besides sending them as an email attachment or via an Instant Messaging client, you can also use a USB memory dongle or even an external USB drive. By defalt, MacOS X can read and write Windows drives in FAT32 format and can only read drives in NTFS format if they are not password-protected. Installing MacFUSE allows MacOS to read and write to NTFS drives, but again, if not password-protected. It appears that the older FAT16 format is no longer supported.

Storing PC files on Mac OS X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.