Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Apple Keyboard - Vista - How do I obtain the Print Screen function?

I thought I'd ask the pros on this board as I have tried everything with absolutely no success.

How do I obtain the Print Screen function in Winodws Vista using the latest Apple Wired USB Keyobard (British)?

Thanks very much for your help.

Intel Mac Book, Windows Vista

Posted on Sep 20, 2008 6:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2008 8:10 AM

Try *[_This Link_|http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1216]* which shows the key mapping for the USB Keyboard. It will show the key combination for the USB keyboard.

You said that you had the latest wired USB keyboard so I have assumed that it is the ultra-thin keyboard. If not then let us know which one you have and we can then provide alternate solutions.

Axel F.
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 20, 2008 8:10 AM in response to Spa8nky

Try *[_This Link_|http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1216]* which shows the key mapping for the USB Keyboard. It will show the key combination for the USB keyboard.

You said that you had the latest wired USB keyboard so I have assumed that it is the ultra-thin keyboard. If not then let us know which one you have and we can then provide alternate solutions.

Axel F.

Sep 20, 2008 10:23 AM in response to Spa8nky

When you installed windows on your boot camp partition, you must have installed the boot camp drivers from the Leopard Installation disk. This will have installed the keyboard manager file titled kbdmgr.exe file. To check if it is being loaded run *Windows Task Manager* and click on the Processes tab. In the list of active processes ensure that kbdmgr.exe is listed.

If that process is running then click on the *Boot Camp Icon* in the Windows system tray. Open *Boot Camp Control Panel* and click on the Keyboard tab and see if you have the proper selections made.

Axel F.

Sep 20, 2008 11:04 AM in response to Spa8nky

The excerpt below is taken directly from Apple's support website.

*Don't disable the Apple Keyboard Support driver*

*The Apple Keyboard Support driver included with Boot Camp provides functionality for Intel-based Macs using an Apple keyboard. The driver maps the keys on your Apple keyboard to match essential Microsoft keyboard functions. This driver is installed as part of the Boot Camp Apple Driver CD installation process.*

From the above script the driver is included in Leopard Installation Disk for boot camp (Windows). So, when you installed the drivers from the Leopard Installation disk then it would appear that the keyboard driver(s) is/are installed for your Vista.

Did you check on the recommendations made by me on my previous post?

Axel F.

Sep 20, 2008 11:46 AM in response to Spa8nky

I am not aware of any independent link which has the provision of a Windows XP/Vista driver for this particular keyboard.

Your point is well taken. Why is there not a Windows driver for the Apple Ultra-thin USB keyboard? Apple would claim that there is. It is on the Leopard CD. Then we would argue that if we buy that keyboard then we would have to buy the Leopard CD. Appple could come back and say that you will need the Leopard CD anyway to install Boot Camp and its drivers to install Windows XP/Vista. This can go on and on.

One thing to note is that when looking at the *Minimum Requiremens* for this keyboard, it only states Mac OSx and does not mention Windows. I am assuming from this that this Keyboard is designed to work with Macs and if you run Windows on a Mac then one can get the driver from the Leopard CD when you install boot camp and Windows.

Axel F.

Nov 19, 2008 11:49 PM in response to Spa8nky

I just got my Apple keyboard for my MacBook Pro, but wanted to also use it for my PC computer. I do art and use print screen often when I write instructional materials. So I shared your frustration.

I found this blog:

http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jrobbins/archive/2007/10/09/using-an-apple-ke yboard-on-vista.aspx

that let me to this free tool:

http://www.randyrants.com/2006/07/sharpkeys_211.html

Shapkeys lets me remap the functions on my apple keyboard. I was able to get print screen working on f13 and assigned f16-f19 to various other things. f15 where Pause/Break is where I put the insert key since fn isn't assignable. I can't remember anytime I used Pause/Break anyway.

USB Apple Keyboard - Vista - How do I obtain the Print Screen function?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.