Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

3G USB Stick

1180 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2008 2:21 AM by Christopher John Hunter RSS
Christopher John Hunter Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 20, 2008 5:02 PM
Our 'modem' connection to the Internet is a 3G USB stick ... currently we have it plugged into the MBP and share it via Wi-fi with the iMac & MBA ... I guess it could be plugged into any one of the three & still provide connection OK ... but if we get the TC promoted from doorstop to hub for the network (Wi-Fi and/or Ethernet), how should we use the stick ?

Most convenient would be to have it plugged into the USB port of the TC (which could sit on the window-ledge, for good 3G reception) and link the TC to the computers by Wi-Fi, for minimum wires - no speed reduction 'cos 3G not that fast (?) - but I'm not sure that would be OK ?

3G reception deteriorates quite quickly away from the window, and having one of the computers by the window would not be easy / convenient

Anybody have a solution, please ?

Message was edited by: Christopher John Hunter
24" Alu iMac / HiRes17" MBP + 'Air / PPC G4 desk + laptop / unplugged 1Tb TC /, Mac OS X (10.5.4), / 'G4s use 10.4.0 + 8.6 + 9.2 / iPhone 3Gs + iPod Touch 2.1
  • Duane Level 10 Level 10 (117,955 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 20, 2008 9:17 PM (in response to Christopher John Hunter)
    The 3G USB stick will not work attached to a USB port on the Time Capsule. The Time Capsule's USB port only supports USB hard drives and USB printers.
    iMac Alu C2D 2.4 GHz 24" 4GB and 20" 2GB, Mac OS X (10.5.5), iBook G4 14" 1.42 [1.5GB],iBook 466 SE Graphite [576M-40GB],iMac G4 700/768MB

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.