Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Sharing does not work after the latest up grade

I have a mac mini which I use as a media server and my wife has a macbook and I have a macbook pro.

I can use the screen sharing from the macbook but not the macbook pro using the same user and password. All I get on the macbook pro is a black screen. It logs on properly and I can use the network but just not share the screen.

Any ideas. It is very very frustrating.

Macbook pro 17 & iPhone 3G, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Sep 21, 2008 3:21 AM

14 replies

Sep 21, 2008 12:08 PM in response to Swiggen

I have a similar problem since 10.5.5 update.

I'm using a MacBook Pro and an iMac. I can get Screen Sharing to work from the MBP, but not from the iMac. On the iMac all I get is a small black window. Connecting to either computer to share disks works in both directions.

Any ideas? Anyone else with this problem? Sounds like 10.5.5 screwed something up here.

Oct 29, 2008 3:01 PM in response to Topher Kessler

I think my situation is a little more unique. Sometimes I get the little black screen others have described, but usually I get a message back "Authentication failed to 'SlimServe'. Please verify you have entered the correct name and password." I get this whether I go the "Connect to Server" route, whether I launch screen sharing manually, or just click the button in the find. I know the login information is correct because I'm connected with the same password for file sharing. I get this from two different computers running 10.5.5 connecting to another 10.5.5 (2 Intels to PPC).

Nov 1, 2008 7:44 AM in response to sirdir

Same problem here - I can 'connect as' as see the entire contents of the remote computer, but when screen sharing is selected, I only get a small black box - even though screen sharing is enabled. I have no problems with screen sharing on the other 2 macs in the house, only the silver imac. All computers are running 10.5.5

Nov 1, 2008 8:24 AM in response to sndmxr

Found the solution on another forum - here is the fix. You need to use it on the machine you are connecting from:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306723

1. Open Keychain Access in the Utilities folder.
2. Open the Kerberos Ticket viewer (under the Keychain Access menu). Destroy everything you see in the top half of the window.
3. Back in the finder, click 'connect as...' and sign in.
4. Click 'share screen.'

Nov 1, 2008 9:52 AM in response to sndmxr

I already read about the kerberos ticket, so that didn't help - but thank's anyway because it helped me find the solution for me: The menu item right atop of the kerberos ticket (don't know how it's called in english, probably something like 'keychain - first help' did the trick for me: Had to repair my keychain and then I was able to connect.

Nov 11, 2008 5:42 PM in response to sirdir

K after long struggles and after a format on my macbook I figured it out. I at one point had 3 or 4 trial .mac accounts. I went into my Keychain access under System and had a lot of old certificates and left in the system that it was causing some kind of conflict with the system. I went through and deleted the old certificates that we no longer needed because I didnt have that .MAC account anymore. Then I simply tried again and it worked fine. So the old System Certificates in the key chain access under system was causing the issue. I also found some really old certificates I found that needed to be deleted as well.

I hope this helps you if not let me know I will try to help a little more.

Screen Sharing does not work after the latest up grade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.