Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Xactimate for Mac

Xactimate isn't compatible with Mac, but I'm thinking of buying a MacBook. Has anyone been able to run this program with any of the Windows to Mac based software

Intel Based IMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Sep 22, 2008 4:35 PM

8 replies

Sep 22, 2008 5:33 PM in response to toddc2001

Todd:

You are when you stated that Xactimate is not compatible with Mac OSx.
So what are your options to be able to run this application on an Intel Based Mac?
1. *[_Crossover for Mac_|http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac>* is one product that runs several Windows based applications under Mac OSx without installation of Windows. However, this option is out for Xactimate since it *does not* support Xactimate.
2. *[_Vmware Fusion_|http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion>* is one product that will run under Windows under OSx. In this setup you run Windows and OSx at the same time. You will need to buy both, Fusion and Windows. You will sacrifice Windows operational speed with this setup.
3. *[_Boot Camp_|http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1656]* is one product available from Apple with Leopard installed computers and also exists on all Leopard Installation disks. This product installs Windows on its own partition on the HD and therefore you can run Windows at its native speeds. Windows runs separately from OSx with this approach. You will need to buy a copy of Windows.

Option 2 and/or 3 will get you where you want to be with Xactimate.

Axel F.

Sep 26, 2008 6:37 PM in response to toddc2001

Toddc2001 -

I would not recommend running Xactimate on a Mac in any type of virtual system. I have used this in the past and ran into issues when trying to get the token to work correctly and I am sure that Xactimate will not be to keen on trying to get their application to work on a virtual PC no matter what the base system is. Also as you have the ability to upload estimates as well as photos and given the additional drama in getting items to "easily" move between the two platforms the benefits in owning a Mac are lost. Finally you may want to re-consider as finding a portable printer that will work with a Mac running a virtual version of Windows and allow you to print your estimates out in the field may be a bit challenging.

For what it is worth.

Respectfully -

ingram

Nov 29, 2008 7:46 PM in response to toddc2001

I have been using Xact on Mac for a few months now under VMware and now Parallels. I have found it runs on both but the new Parallels 4.0 ROCKS! for running the application. I have never had a crash of Xact under either application so it is an easy port (again I recommend Parallels for ease of use). I have talked a friend into using Mac for his Xact production and he is very happy with it. It performs much better and I can keep all my important data in the Mac environment so I don't worry so much about a crash. I would recommended putting as much memory in the box as you can to ensure the M$ environment runs smoothly as possible as Xact has a big footprint.

Maybe we can get Xact to port to Java then we can run Xact in a native OS on Macs. Until then the VM will do the job.

Dec 2, 2008 5:49 PM in response to toddc2001

I used Parallels to run Xactimate during hurricane Ike, Gustav, and Dolly (I'm a CAT guy) without a problem. My Macbook pro ran xactimate much better then my newer dell laptop did.
I was able to back it up using time machine and an external hard drive. I liked this much better because time machine backs up the whole parallels file and makes it real easy to restore if you need to. Printing was never a problem.

I do recommend you use Windows XP for this.

Dec 3, 2008 1:42 PM in response to Ingram

You can run the application on a Macbook as well. I have a buddy that I showed how to use Xact in ||'s and he uses it in the field.

As for backups (as another user responded), the Time Machine tool is really nice (I have used it once for a file I accidentally deleted). As for image handling, the mac product is far superior than the Windows system.

The only weakness in Mac are scanners. I actually run the scanner as a device in the Windows partition then store it back on my electronic file I use for claims that resides on my Mac Desktop.

Another headache for some in transition is software such as Adobe Acrobat. Acrobat will allow you to Cross-grade their product to have a Mac license vs the Windows one you may already have. Mac comes with a tool "Preview" that will handle most things that Adobe can do for you, but if you need it you can save some coin by getting the upgrade price on a Mac version, just contact Adobe customer service and they can direct you on how to do this change.

Xactimate for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.