Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bought a new 1TB HD because my 500MB was almost full. Now when I try....

to transfer the Time Machine data from the 500GB to the 1TB HD, it says there is not enough room?
By the way, there is 79 GB still available on the 500GB HD, and 875GB available on the 1TB HD. I've noticed that the original Time Machine 500GB HD is formatted Mac OS Extended (journaled) while the 1TB is formatted Mac OS Extended Case-Sensitive, Journaled. Could that be causing the problem?
Thanks... Doug

1.8 G5, MBP Duo, iPhone 2.0, Mac OS X (10.5.5)

Posted on Sep 23, 2008 1:53 PM

2 replies

Sep 23, 2008 6:04 PM in response to dbrandt6

You should change the the 1TB drive to Mac OS Extended (journaled) but the fact that it is case sensitive isn't likely to be responsible for the error message. Try checking the partitioning in Disk Utility. Click on the upper icon for your 1TB drive. The Partition Map Scheme should be GUID for Intel Macs or Apple Partition Map for PPC Macs. Master Boot Record partitioning can cause all sorts of odd problems. Make sure that you have your new drive rather than your old drive selected as the Time Machine drive in System Preferences > Time Machine.

Time Machine was not designed to copy its own files to another drive. SuperDuper! works well for that purpose.

I bought a new 1TB HD because my 500MB was almost full. Now when I try....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.